Expenses

Chapter 6

     Arthur couldn't manage to go to sleep, no matter how long he remained closed within the warmth of the blankets he could hear the other visibly awake, his breathing at an unsteady pace and his legs moving the covers slowly as to not awake the other. Alfred, quite frankly, had endured quite enough of this from the other, not out of annoyance but simply due to the fact there seemed to be something withholding the other from speaking.  

     The end of the straw was an exasperated sigh followed by the cover's shifting at a dramatic pace, "Arthur." The fidgeting stopped in a sense of trying to lure the other into false beliefs, lifting himself up and propping up on his arm he looked over, "I know you're awake. You've kept me awake for hours, so just tell me what is bothering you."

      Arthur lifted himself onto his side as well, "Well how in the blazes would you figure that out." He snapped, his accent slipping through harsher than it typically did. He appeared all too ready to walk out, but seemed to remain in control, or possibly desire to stay where he was, either from the sheer effort of not wanting to leave his place out of exhaustion, or the small part of him that wanted to confess what was lingering on his mind.

      Now, surely Alfred could be ignorant of people's emotions at times, but after having spent an unknown amount of years with Arthur he could read him to an extent, he still managed to pin some of himself down into the fortress that was his own mind, having always been able to maintain a face bare of emotion, "I know you, just tell me what it is." He begged, sitting up to steady himself on his legs as he reached out to rest a hand on his shoulder, in a gentle attempt to sooth the other. 

    At this rate they were both sitting up, obviously fully awake as rain tapped gently against the windows, the curtains drawn apart allowing moonlight to fall upon the two, the lighter blonde turning into almost a silvery wisp in the light, faintly making out his hands as he fidgeted with his wedding band as it let off quick silvers of light when it matched at certain angles. Finally he turned to the other, "What if this is the wrong thing. What if we finally get there and all the sudden everything goes wrong." 

    Leading a hand, he cups the other under the chin, "Everything will be fine, this is what you wanted and I will happily oblige." He assured, slipping a smile to the shorter one as he rested his head into the Alfred's hand, slipping his hand around his wrist.

     "For some odd reason I feel something wrong will happen, it'll start out alright; however," He trailed off, unable to finish his sentence, fearing there was a way to disperse worse visions than he had been thinking.

     "You're having the visions again aren't you?" He watched as the other's emerald eye's trailed to the side refusing to speak of it, "Art, you haven't had them since we met so surely this means something." he tried to confide in the other, trying to assist some reassurance into the other. The visions appearing once again didn't cause such a disturbance within Alfred as they seemed to perturb the other, but when he thought about it there seemed to be a reasonable explanation as he could only think of what the other was truly seeing.

      The monarch pulled back, "What if it means nothing Alfred, you can't always assume that everything that occurs is going to have an equal reaction." Getting off the bed he strolled to the window, allowing a long shadow to run back to where he had sat over the other, "Something bad is going to happen. I can sense it and the visions are blurred, they aren't clear."

    "You haven't had them in years, that's to be expected, maybe they've weakened or you're not remembering the other's properly. You didn't recognize me upon our first meeting, and when sitting down for our first time and we got word of what you had been experiencing you could only simply inform us that there was a Spade, following how you knew you had to come. Those visions lead to something good though, right?"