Together at Last

Chapter 17

      The crowd that once was shrouded around them were now dissipated, the Queen having signaled for them to rid themselves of his presence, that the man currently wrapped around his thin frame was as much of a present threat as a loose thread. Turning to give the other his affection, heart swelling with how time had kept them apart from the other, stalling between to ensure that their memories were bruised and burned, enforcing them to relay what might have been years to mere weeks ago. 

      Pulling apart he laid his hand onto his cheek, grazing over features he hadn't considered important or simply never taken notice of, in this moment refusing to not take in every little feature he might not have observed. Hands falling away to clasp onto the others, running his thumbs across the soft skin, a shiver running through at their below average temperature. 

     Daring, he took the silence that had made its acquaintance, bending it until it broke with a loud crackle that sent his thoughts back into a process that could operate on its own. Trailing his hands away from the other's, only for them to be forced in hold by a restraining clutch. Voice quivering he stared into the eyes of his lover, the same one he had led through halls on those dreary nights, knocking a broom over before scattering in their socks, had kissed in-front of the entire Kingdom on their anniversary. Why was he so nervous now, having gone all this way for him, now standing at his feet but so doubled over in dread that all of this might be fake, that he would awake to the advisor standing over him, informing him that the man he had wed was long gone now. "Is this real, are you really here?" Unable to stop as the question slipped out, wishing to withdraw it from the other's ears, dreading the answer that had hope for no return.

      Attempting to look away, wanting to leave before the inevitable, the fear making its turmoil known, throat constricting as his hands were let go of, feeling a brush against his cheek. The shorter blonde already able to decipher each emotion, the ever existent exhaustion causing his weary mind to jump into a panic at the first sign of reality slipping, powerless to what was unfolding beneath his feet. Arthur shook his head, sighing as he stood upon the ends of his feet to get a better look at his King. "I assure you, I'm very much present." Assuring, brushing the other's bangs to the side doing his best to aide as emotional support. "Take a breath, it's alright." 

      A million things never aligned, and in this moment as he closed his eyes for that brief second, allowing his husbands words to sink into his mind, working and twisting them to make sense despite the plethora of questions running adjacent to them. Hands shaking despite the other's hold on them, "Why didn't you come back, why did you stay here?" Not bothering to try and hide the shaking, stressed that the other seemed so pulled together despite their current situation, the way they left in such an abrupt fashion and never leaving anything in their disappearance for their Kingdom, their people. 

     Snatching his hands back he held a finger up to the golden blondes lips, "Don't be so loud." he cautioned, pulling away after a second, shaking his head. "I'll tell you everything soon enough. First, come sit with me."

      Leading the King out by his hand into a sectioned off area, surrounded by trees with golden and silver tint, Alfred internally groaning, no doubt they were a drastic improvement to the nearly deranged one's he had been around the past few days. Taking a seat after his shorter companion he straightened his posture, here he was at a table outside, with the other rather well in health, and the King was sick to death of this place. If it wasn't dreary nothing made sense, people speaking in twisted tongues as if they had lost their own right minds, with complete disorder with the very twist of the wind. 

     Eyes watering he took a breath, outwardly exhaling, "Arthur please, let's just go home." Taking a deep breathe, heavily considering the next words he spoke, "You can tell me everything back at Spades," He made to stand up, "Please-"

     Glaring the Spadian King down he strangulated his words, "You'll hear me out before forcing our departure." Commanding his tone to one Alfred had never heard, watching as, with a panicked look, he resumed his seat, allowing the Queen to pour a cup of tea, offering it to him which he accepted. "Thank you, my dear." Returning to a strummed tone. 

     Slightly pushing himself away from the table he held the cup in his hands, that had now gone cold, lifting it to drink to find anything to occupy his racing heart. Fighting to not slip into exhaustion, being lulled in through a gentle hand promising relief from his thoughts. 

     Placing the cup onto the saucer Alfred make quick observation to notice the other's legs were crossed, despite it not being noticeable due to them sitting typically, it was how he leaned to the side. "I assume we were brought here through different methods," Awaiting for no response, conducting he was correct from the start. Humming a low tune before offering only a nod, resuming his speech, "I'm sure you noticed small changes, that is to be expected. After all, I was held in a cell," Exposing his wrists that still had the fresh wounds. "There's plenty that ensued there that I am not yet ready to discuss." His tone lowering to almost a murmur, shaken by the memories.

    Throughout the narrative Alfred listened intently, heartbroken by what he heard and when Arthur would expose the wounds that still remained, often noticing how the other retained a down casted gaze, as if to repress the shame of being taken down, the strongest of all four Kingdom's Queen's in magical ability having been stomped into the ground.  The effects being heightened as he continued to brief the other of his condition. 

    Taking to his feet he waltzed over, his hand extending out to lift the King's chin, brushing his jawline as he did so, with his companion not once pulling away or questioning, authorizing the Queen to touch him in anyway he pleased. Never once a smile slipping onto his face, tilting his head slightly, before letting his voice string through in a whisper, "I'm glad you're here."