Start of a Journey

Chapter 14

      At that hour the sun had begun setting for the evening, clouding the sky in an array with a bright orange set in the lower center of blues and pinks scattered throughout, darkening the clouds around them as they spread out, both Monarch's were currently dressing down for the evening. The Queen had not yet become accustomed to the rain that pelted the windows, thunder coming in crashes like cymbals, lightening following suite in bright flashes. Later some of their best nights would be spent with this weather, Alfred already being used to it, and drawing Arthur into it with his embrace.

      Drawing the curtains at night seemed to assist the other, to an extent. Until he managed to become used to the hectic weather in Spades, would Alfred do what he could to aide the other's comfort - mostly due to how fearsome the Queen could become with little to no sleep. The door to the restroom creaked open, Alfred looking up from his book as his ear twitched from the sudden noise, seeing the Queen appear with drenched hair, and clad in purple like he was when awake. Alfred still remembered seeing the man for the first time, never having expected to ever encounter what had occurred that day.

      Placing his book upon the bedside table his gaze lingered over to the other, although he didn't seem to acknowledge the other's stare. Stepping over to him he bit his lip, trying to swivel his anxiety, in retrospect, this was a stupid idea. Considerably best to note that he had never enjoyed this tactic that was often found in old novels.

      "Hey." He called over the others shoulder, trying his best not to frighten him; although, he doubted it mattered since the other seemed to already hold his breath whenever the King would close any distance between them.

      Turning around to face the other, he was met with white cloth and blue leading up to the shoulders, he had to catch himself as he realized his mistake in not raising his head and was now facing the other's chest rather than his face. The height of the King, compared to him, was going to kill him at this rate, if he kept forgetting how lanky the blonde was, "What is it?" He dead toned the other.

      Alfred remained silent, cursing himself mentally, stars this was so stupid!

      "Well. Spit it out!" His foot tapping the wooden flooring as his hands rested upon his hips.

      Taking a deep breathe he met the other's icy glare, "Can I...oh jeez." He stopped himself, resisting reaching up to his clavicle to grasp onto where the bone dipped in, "Can I dry your hair?" He mumbled, averting his gaze to a corner in the ceiling.

      Arthur's jaw dropped with widened eyes, well at-least in his mind as he maintained the look on his face. What did he just hear, were his ears full of cotton or had the other really just asked that, "No- What in the blazes! Why would you ask that!"

      The taller male dodged with seconds to spare when Arthur went in to hit with with the bundled up towel. Thus commenced the next hour of the two running around the room, Alfred unsuccessfully dodging Arthur's attacks while yelling swears at the other.

      By the end not only was Arthur's hair dry, but they lay on the floor almost side by side, panting before Alfred let out an exasperated laugh. The Queen not bothering to question him as he watched the younger blonde turn into a fit of laughter.

      This had been their start, an ill tempered man coming to the Kingdom of Spades after weeks of visions, and a mark that had decided to make an appearance years ago but had never bothered to bring it up, rather hiding it behind high collared shirts until it finally became too much and he decided to once and for all rid himself of the thing. Only to be crowned in-front of not only the entire population of Spades but the other three Kingdoms, and forever leaving the Heart's Court.