Anguish

Chapter 15

      Awakening must have been a fate worse than death, that was far from reassured as he opened his eyes, a nauseating headache overcoming his senses, the rest of his body screaming from the impact taken upon the plight to regain his power, the pain experienced with each breath notified him that he had cracked a rib or two, lucky that the bone hadn't pierced a lung or his heart. Any other pain felt was not yet able to be brought to the surface, as his ribs took the majority of the signals being transmitted to his mind, and if anything else was broken they were overshadowed. Moving his eye's, figuring out in little to no time that any movement of his body caused excruciating pain, he found his wedding band still intact, along with deep red cuts around his wrists from where the cuffs had been.

     Inhaling, a shock sent through him worse than touching a hot stone, causing his eye's to water as he grit his teeth. The only distinguishable change with his location was how he now lay on the floor, specifically on his broken ribs, the other hadn't bothered to move him which typically Arthur should have been grateful; however, in this situation where he felt death was standing over head his cries seeped through, fighting to lift himself as joints cracked. How long had he been sprawled out on the floor?

      It must have taken a few minutes, but with each move he swore the chance of faint was dawning closer, his had light and almost unable to make out any patterns. Falling down into a corner, he took his time with slowing his breathing, dragging the purple coat off, using it as a blanket of sorts. Breathing rapidly, his heart was going at an inadequate pacing there was no doubt that the plan would be placed on standstill for the time being, he had to work on healing his body and due to this place draining him of any source it would take time, hopefully not any longer than a week. He had to get out of here, for whatever reason the other wanted him and Alfred, specifically Alfred, and the mere thought of the other trying his mind game's on his husband sent a metallic taste on his tongue.

      His mind wandered once again, he was finding it so easy to let it freely roam his memories, constantly being in a state of sorrow, looking back to any of the good memories which mostly meant the two years after he was crowned, often looping back to the day he had fallen for the other as they lay breathless on the floor from the chase. Today, he supposed, his mind settled on a different day: their wedding day, it had been held in the late afternoon during the winter, Alfred having caved into Arthur's pleas to have a winter wedding. The level of persuasion he had to do after their engagement, Alfred insistent on a summer or fall date, telling the other that holding it during the colder months was too dangerous only to give in one night. Spectators from different Kingdom's had called it the most gorgeous wedding they had seen, and who was Arthur to deny having been blown away when he was walked down the alter.

      Snow was falling in a light haze, Alfred refusing to spoil the moment by looking at Arthur, maintaining his posture as his hands remained folded to his back. Dressed in a dark blue suit with gold accents, the tails of the other's coat was made up of golden embroidery, a white rose boutonnières exactly like the one Arthur adorned. His suit being a dark velvet purple, his coat falling more to his feet with golden Spade's signifying his loyalty to his Kingdom and position. The snow falling onto Alfred made him radiant, and when Arthur finally faced him he saw how the other wasn't wearing his glasses, with the King's crown being atop his head. The sunshine he had always craved standing in snowfall, still managing to outshine everything. When they were finally able to make their way into the ballroom and have their couple's dance, Alfred had taken the lead and that was the day Arthur knew what being free felt like, never had someone held him in such a way during a dance. With each twirl he didn't feel any restrain, it came so naturally, with Alfred often sneaking in a few kisses throughout the dance when they were close, whispering small confessions to the other of his adoration for him.