Tribulation

Chapter 24

      Turning to face the other, analyzing the figure who stood before him. Head shaking, hands trembling, looking up to the King with tears in his eyes, "Alfred." Reaching out in desperation only for his hand to fall through the others. Looking down in shock, stepping back wiping furiously at his eyes, "Damnit! It was meant to work." Screaming out, almost hitting the ground before stopping himself.

      Every little fragment of lament being swept under the rug, "You're not him." Using a stern tone, not afraid of who this was when they couldn't touch one another. With everything happening in his life, there wasn't any way to not play the game of risk, this could all be a plan by the Queen. Even if in the moment he couldn't find any motive for it, considering he was already legally seen as his, so there was no point in any of this.

      Turning on his heels he scurried to the other, hands covering over his chest, "What are you talking about?" Staying quiet for a moment, he was in formal garb. "Alfred, what did he do?" Noticing now it hadn't been the suns shadows, rather there were such extreme shadows, stumbling back in fear of the other's current condition. On the very edge of resembling a skeleton, even as the wind rustled and he stood in a fighting stance, it was clear that he could easily be taken down in seconds.

      Keeping his feet where they needed to be, "You can't be him." Getting defensive, this was cruel and sick, even for the other and his various jokes this was a step too far.

      "I'm the Queen of Spad-"

      Not letting him finish he shouted back, "Then prove it!" Digging his nails into his palms, watching the other recoil, never placing his feet into a stance rather standing in an absent position. 

      "Fine. When was the only time you made any fuss over my shoe wear?"

      Stunned for a second he shook his head, "During winter months when it was slick. But-"

     "When did I first admit my feelings for you?" His eyebrows pressing, gaining ground as he strode closer to the other. 

      Shoving his hands out in-front of him he shook his head, he knew the answer but wouldn't speak not wanting to give that information out as he had previously done so, "This is backwards, I'm supposed to be asking." Correcting the other before getting close, keeping his voice low, "How did I propose?" It had been private, secluded, and he had made quite the impression. There wasn't any mirrors or bodies of water, so he had to hinge on the other not knowing the answer. Which was helpful because Arthur had been rather embarrassed by the way he had done it, making the other swear to never mutter a single word to anyone.

     Standing back and folding his hands behind his back, convinced he had the other pinned. The man looking up to him, never letting his brows unfurrow, "Do you know, I have the biggest crush on you. So, if you would allow it," Lingering off as his face fell, looking down at Alfred's feet, looking back up to him, "Will you marry me, Arthur James Kirkland?" Face burning at the memory.

      His composure fell, heart shattering, shaking his head. "It can't be." Voice drifting off between syllables, struggling with what was unfolding here in this sectioned off area.

      "However, now it's Kirkland-Jones, I still remain adamant that Kirkland does not fit you." Smirking as he spoke, giving him a side glance. Yes, Alfred recalled that conversation, having originally desired to take the other's last name, only to have it refused. It did sound rather regal, despite the other having no royal ties, it shouted importance, and a sense of respect. Something that had never met with the King's last name, which was why they had delved into such a lengthy conversation upon it.