chapter thirteen

tw // signs of withdrawals, mentions of being drunk, and being high

The next few days were different. The clouds covered the sun, the temperature started to drop. Leaves started to change colors, falling swiftly onto the grass beneath. The football season was on its way, the last game approaching.

Things had felt off between Dream and George.

Dream felt his phone ringing, he pulled it out of his pocket and read the name. He clicked the accept button and said flatly "Hello."

"Sound more excited to talk to your boy damn" Sapnap recoiled through the phone, "You coming to the bleachers? I got Karl and Quackity to come sit with us today!" Dream could hear his smile.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a second" Dream responded and then hung up.

After the incident from the other day, George hadn't been at school. Which was perfectly fine considering, but whenever Dream tried to check up on him or just contact him in general he'd get back very similar bland responses.

I'm okay.

Got to go, sorry.

Bye.

"Bye" Dream thought to himself. He hated that word. Bye was something you say before you leave.

Bye felt like the end.

Dream didn't want it to end.

He put his phone back into his pocket and stood up from his desk. He immediately felt a rush go straight to his head and he fell back into his seat.

Mr. Philza shot his head up "Mate you okay?" The class was empty, Dream had to stay after to finish his test.

Dream blinked trying to regain his thoughts. He felt his eyes get spotty, but after a few seconds he felt his vision return, "Uhm yeah I'm okay thanks" Dream stood up, slowly, and he was about to leave the classroom.

"Hey wait up a second" Mr. Philza motioned back over to his desk "We need to talk."

Dream turned around, confused, and sat down at the desk in front of Mr. Philzas.

Mr. Philza sat up in his chair and leaned over on his desk, he let his arms rest on top of his stack of papers "Are you okay mate?"

Dream was shocked to say the least, he was expecting some type of friendly scolding for doing so badly on his test. Definitely not this. His confusion clearly showed on his face because Mr. Philza spoke up again.

"I don't want to intrude, but you don't look too well" Mr. Philza sighed "I also know it's none of my business, but I know what it feels like to go through withdrawals."

Dreams face became even more shocked.

How did he know?

"You're probably wondering 'How does he know' right?" Mr. Philza raised his eyebrows.

Yes, that's exactly what I was wondering, Dream thought to himself.

"You think I can't see you coming in here everyday high as a kite, Dream your breath reeked of alcohol. I was the same way, going to class high or drunk, not caring about grades. Until I realized, maybe I should take this serious. Try a little to see if I can get into College y'know?" Mr. Philza continued, "I'm not hating on you or anything mate, I was the same way. I'm just letting you know my doors always open. Always."

Dream put on a small smile "Thank you Mr. Philza, that means a lot"

Mr. Philza smiled back, "Just call me Phil mate. Now go to lunch and eat something"