chapter twenty one

tw // mentions of rehab, pills/medication, and bullets

"Well how is he?!" George was trying to keep his cool, but needed answers.

"Sir i'm afraid we don't know yet, this takes time" The doctor replied in a calm tone.

George paced the hospital waiting room biting his fingernails as the doctor walked away. He was a mess.

The bell near the door went off.

"Clay, we're here for Clay" Sapnap spoke to the front desk lady frantically.

George looked over and saw Sapnap along with Karl and Quackity "Guys over here!" He motioned his hand towards the sitting area, although he wasn't doing any sitting.

Sapnap ran over and hugged George "I'm sorry it took so long, the police were pestering us with questions" He held onto him tightly "How is he? How are you? Any news?"

George pulled back "Nothing yet, i've just been waiting"

Karl sat down and ran his hand through his brown locks "I can't believe something like this could happen" Quackity sat down beside him.

He placed a comforting hand on his back "I know, he'll pull through though"

George paused his pacing for a moment "Will he? What if they can't save him?"

Sapnap titled George's head to his "He will be okay, I know it"

Some more time had passed.

Families came in and out, lots of tears. Some happy, some sad. The sun finally set and the windows stopped illuminating the room. Doctors through the rooms and hallways. Carrying bags, clipboards, gurneys and more.

One thing stayed the same though. The four boys stayed put in the waiting room hoping for something.

At this point anything.

The doctor from earlier finally came out "You guys are for Clay correct?"

George stood up first "Yes, yes we're here for him"

The doctor hesitated "Let's all sit down for a second" He slowly took a seat, and watched as George nervously did the same.

The doctor opened his own clipboard "Fortunately, as you know, the bullet didn't hit any important nerves. So his shoulder should be okay over time. He is resting now. The downside of an injury like this is he'll most likely need to be on lots of meds" The doctor turned now to face George "As you told me earlier, he's had a past with pills. I wouldn't want to put him in any more danger than he already might be in"

Sapnap spoke up "Is there anything else you guys can do? Please" His voice was filled with concern.

The doctor now flipped through the papers on the clipboard "There is a few options. We can try to give him these medication, but it is a huge risk for an addiction to continue. We could also see how he does without some of the more addictive meds, but the pain levels would be difficult to deal with" The doctor paused "Or we have a really great facility he could go to now. It is for addicts trying to recover. A section of this facility focuses on patients who have been injured, like your friend Clay, who requires help balancing out medication that is needed, and medication that may just be a want." The man pulled out a pamphlet "Here is some more information on it, take your time" The doctor then got up and gave a small smile as he walked away.

George grabbed the pamphlet first "A facility?"

Karl leaned over and looked at it "Is this really our decision to just send him away? It feels wrong."