Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

Violet

My feet ached from running around all day for Mr. Bolton's demands at the office. I kicked off my shoes and slumped on my snug sofa, massaging my sore ankles.

I was glad it was Friday night, it had been a long week of reports, non-stop phone calls, bookings and checking emails. But I wasn't done with work quite yet. Mr. Bolton requested that I meet him at his house to assist him in planning his project. It was a huge task that he needed to present at a conference in Miami, and we had to get it started quickly. It sounded like he had the world on his shoulders, probably handed to him by the CEO. I won't lie I wasn't too thrilled when I heard I had to work with him every weekend at his house for the next three weeks.

I grabbed my blue notebook and checked it. Most of the things I jotted down was about Mr. Bolton's appointments and work notes. Gosh! I didn't have much of a life, since none of my notes were about me. My hand reached for my phone and I reluctantly checked the one dating app I was registered on.

Zero views!

I scrunched my nose. Always unseen. Always unnoticed.

I rolled my eyes, not paying it any mind.

My phone rang in my hand and I picked it up. The ringtone wasn't 'Blurred Lines' so I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hello." I answered.

"Hey cuz! Long-time no chat."

"Hey... Stacey? Oh my gosh, it's so good to hear your voice!" I was happy to hear from my cousin. She studied at a college near Chicago and was three years younger than me. She was fun, energetic, and chaotic at times. The perfect opposite to my organized and introverted nature.

"Hey, I'm taking a break from studies, since my exams are done." She said. "Congrats on the new job, you need to tell me all about it."

"Thanks. It's just a personal assistant position to a very demanding man. Nothing special." I sighed. "How did the exams go?"

She chuckled nervously. "Well, we'll see when the results come out." She said sheepishly. "Is it alright if I come over for a few days, before heading back to my parents? I thought I'll see how you're doing in the big city."

"Sure! You can spend a few days here anytime. I would love the company." I replied.

"Okay cool. Will chat soon and let you know."

We said our goodbyes and ended the chat. I smiled. Excited to have some company and girl time with my best cousin, since I lacked in the friend's department since moving to Chicago. There was so much I wanted to catch her up on, especially gossip about my infamous boss. But for now, all I wanted to do, was kick back and relax. And not think about work or Mr. Bolton or my day with him at his place tomorrow.

                                                                                                      ***

The massive tall trees shadowed the morning sun that strained to seep passed the chunky branches. I stood in front of thick black gates, my bag and notebook in my hand clutched against my chest. I Beeped the button on the intercom. I tried to see the big house Penny was talking about, even though she had never been here. But the gate was shrouded with trees blocking the house from view.

"Yes!" A deep voice of Mr. Bolton boomed out.

"It's me Mr. Bolton... Your assistant." I said nervously. Not knowing why I was nervous. Maybe it's because we weren't in his office and being inside his home made me tense. This was his comfort zone that he brought his women too and I was about to enter it.