Chapter 33

CHAPTER 33

Violet

The weeks went by and it was a crazy whirlwind dating Jake. I rubbed my slightly bruised shoulder. The fall from the quad bike still lingered from last weekend. But crazy as it sounds, it wasn't all that bad. Jake took me out of my comfort zone, I've done things I've never did before.

Sure, trying the new Thai restaurant wasn't the most exilerating experience, but we did what I wanted and he enjoyed it just the same. I really liked being with Jake, and I think he liked being with me.

But our last two dates I had to cancel with him. The second time I'd said no. I pulled my lips, the memory of his disappointed sigh was a tough pill to swallow. But I couldn't help it. I was brimmed with work. Eric had overloaded me with duty after duty. But what could I do? It was my job. I was the CIO's personal assistant and my boss needed me. Jake had to just understand that. It would all calm down after the gala, which was officially happening next month.

I massaged the bridge of my nose. It was Saturday night, and I was supposed to meet Jake's friends at this moment. He wanted me to meet his friends. The thought made me happy and tired of guilt. Instead, I was seated at my kitchen table typing reports and drinking hot chocolate, instead of taking Jägermeister shots. I yawned and stretched my arms. It was time for a tiny break.

I dragged my feet to the fridge and opened it. Tubs of pre-cooked food settled neatly on top of each other. Stacey was amazing. That's one thing I looked forward to, was her cooked meals. She offered since she didn't have to pay a penny while staying here. I grabbed the Mac and Cheese with bacon tub and heated it in the microwave oven.

I strolled lazily to the living room and sat down next to Stacey and fell in a film she was watching.

"Taking a break from work?" Stacey mumbled; her mouth stuffed with popcorn.

"Yip. My eyes are drained. There's so much data my brain can handle." I moaned, as I stuff my mouth with bacon Mac and Cheese.

Stacey grinned at me. "I thought you're vegetarian?" She teased.

I gave her a pointed look, pointing my fork in her direction. "Don't start." I warned.

She stifled a laugh.

"Hey isn't your classes coming up. Shouldn't you head back to college soon?" I asked.

Stacey frowned. "My classes are slightly delayed. The lecturers sent us emails explaining to come back a week later." She said, her eyes still glued to the TV.

I gave a slow nod. "And what about your parents in Canada? You said you're gonna visit before you return to college?"

She gulped down her popcorn. "Decided to bypass the folks for this semester." She shrugged it off.

"Okay, but you-"

"Hey! What you're going do for Jake's birthday camp weekend?" Stacey asked perked up. Clearly, she was avoiding the conversation.

I groaned and closed my eyes shut. "I won't be able to make it." I whined and pulled my mouth into a frown.

"Oh! Jake is gonna be pissed. That's the third time you're cancelling on him and for his birthday." She accused.

"I know. I know!" I blurted. "But I can't help it. Eric called this morning saying he's flying down to New York for another conference, and he needed me on standby at the office."

She side glanced me. "Okay. But it's the weekend."

I swallowed hard. "Hey it's just a camping weekend, I'll make it up to him on his birthday next week."