Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

Eric

I stepped on the gas as my Mercedes Benz accelerated to the beauty salon. Business ended later than usual, and was already ten minutes behind.

I parked my car, hopped out and walked towards the salon doors, not knowing what to expect honestly. I entered the building, my eyes briefly scanned the place. 

But was met with... with astonishment. Was that my assistant?

Harper stood in front of a long length mirror. She wasn't as glamourous as a model or oozed sex appeal like most women I dated or gone for. But she held grace and beauty that exuded from her. She looked happy.

My eyes trailed her new appearance. I've never known how long her hair was. Chocolate brown hair flowed across her exposed shoulders and covered her chest with waves. I hadn't seen so much skin on Harper before. 

I raised a brow involuntary.

Her face looked different, without her glasses. A warm and pink shade flooded her smiling face. Her pink plump lips matched her rosy cheeks.

My eyes roamed lower to the purple dress she'd worn, that fitted her slim body well, shaping her assets. I didn't know even existed until now.

I raised the other brow. My body growing slightly stiff, an unfamiliar heat growing inside I shook away immediately. I swallowed hard forcing a smile. It made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't like it! The feeling was odd and strange and not supposed to be there, for fuck sakes.

Her dark eyes met mine, that I could see in full view. Her long eyelashes above them. She gave a small smile and twirled quickly around. "So... what do you think?" She beamed.

I plastered a small smile and gave a firm nod. "Nice... very nice." As my eyes trailed her body again. The unfamiliar heat flickering.

I turned to Tracy and Keshia. "Thank you, ladies. Excellent job, as always." I smirked.

"We'll be sending the bill." Tracy said, as both the women waved Harper goodbye.

I walked out the doors, breathing in deep the fresh breeze. I checked my Rolex, and it was already late afternoon. The dark blue of evening edged the sky, and I had to drop Harper at her apartment still. I had to be quick. I had other plans to attend to.

"C'mon Harper. I gotta get going." I walked briskly to the Mercedes Benz. The silver metallic shimmered with the last light of day. Harper jogged behind me, struggling slightly in her heels.

I smiled softly.

I entered the driver's side and Harper joined me at the passengers. A subtle hint of vanilla softly wafted passed my nose. She didn't just eat vanilla, she had to wear it on her too. I started the car and the music blared through the radio again automatically. Harper was bright and chirpy as usual as she chatted non-stop about her time at the salon. I nodded now and then but remained quiet for the most part. I didn't want to look at her too much. She looked too different and I wasn't sure if it sat right with me or what to think.

After a while she remained silent too, since I didn't respond to most of her conversation. I could feel her glance my way every now and then. Guilt crept up that I didn't give her enough attention that she deserved. Her makeover and appearance caught me off guard. Usually I'm smooth about this, but her presence momentarily unnerved me.

We finally arrived at her place. The guilt nagged at me, and I turned to look at her, while she unbuckled her seatbelt gazing up at her apartment floor.

"Harper." I started.

She turned to me, not smiling. "You look really pretty today." I said, the corner of my mouth hiked up.