Chapter 53

CHAPTER 53

Violet

4 days later

My brown leather boots walked up the small driveway to my parents' brick house. The air was chilly as early Winter sprang its bite. The colorful autumn leaves already fallen to the ground. It crunched beneath my feet. I liked the feeling. A tiny snowflake fell on my face. I crinkled my nose at its ticklish touch.

I grunted taking the two steps up towards the front door. The Holiday gift bags were heavy in both hands. Why my mother did early gift shopping, I still don't know why and for everyone she encountered. Jeez! My sore fingers protested.

Mom lagged at the car with more shopping bags. I stood in front of the white wooden door and struggled to open. I startled as the door swished open revealing my grinning dad. He wore his puppy oven mittens, with his shirt sleeves rolled up and a green waist apron, over his dark jeans. His brown wavy hair neatly combed back, his warm brown eyes, behind silver framed spectacles, reflected me. His smile was always infectious. Since I rocked up here, you couldn't get the smile off his face. Happy I was home for the holidays.

"Your pumpkin pie in the oven." He beamed. "Let me help you with that Violet girl." He offered affectionately. "I didn't expect you girls to take this long."

I huffed. "You know mom and her gifts. We shopped at three different malls." Mostly for affordable crafts and art beaded jewelry that my mum skillfully made.

Dad sighed and shook his head. I followed behind, entering the warm room. I dropped the bags and pulled off my jacket, hanging it on the coat stand. My parents' home wasn't big at all. It was snug and cozy. And filled with all the comfort I needed. It was best during winter, when the snow covered its red roof and grounds. I was honestly happy to be back home. Family and friends were the exact antidote I needed, even though it didn't heal me fully and the gap in my heart was still void.

"Dad the pie smells divine!" The familiar cinnamon and spices danced in my nose. He turned around and gave me a wink.

"What would the holidays be without it?" He chirped happily. "I needed to leave my baby girl something sweet to eat before your mother and I head out to Aunt Diane's 50th bash tonight."

I giggled and nodded my head, unpacking the shopping bags.

"I'm sorry we're staying a night over at the hotel. It would be too late for us to drive back home, and the bash is far, Violet girl." My dad pouted.

"Dad, please don't apologize. You and mom planned this way before I unexpectedly returned home. I want you guys to enjoy yourself." I explained.

"And I wouldn't want you to be anywhere else but here at home." He grinned. I was perfectly happy for my mom and dad to take a night off. I told them that I felt homesick and decided to return home. They didn't mind, but the questions were endless. I had to recap my relationship status with Jake, I didn't mention Eric. All they knew was that I was his assistant and he assisted me in dating, which they found expectantly odd.

Mom walked into the kitchen. She got her hair done at the hairdressers this morning and so did I, she placed her long dark hair in a messy bun with bangs, that shaded her forehead. "I got to get ready." She said in a panic. "How much time do we have left Daniel?"

Dad, poked his head up from the oven and checked his watch. "Exactly 40 minutes left." He said firmly. "You better get going darling."

"Oh dear!" My mom gasped as she whizzed past me, her complaining faded in the distance as she disappeared into the passage.