Chapter 47

CHAPTER 47

Violet

I tapped my pen against the clipboard and probably smudged my mulberry shaded lipstick by biting my bottom lip. In no time, the silent auction was done, and the awards were given. I scurried around the gala, helping with gift bags and missed out on the honey yogurt panna cotta dessert. But thankfully, my duties eased and I could relax for a little while.

Pop music blared from the band on stage. Three strokes rocked the crowd for almost an hour, as they danced to their music. I spotted Jake among them, a black-haired beauty by his side as he held her across the shoulders. I plopped down on the nearest seat to give my achy feet a breather.

"Uh uh missy, no time for rest." Jesse came striding. "But it is time to dance and have fun... Shall we milady." He extended a hand and smiled. I giggled and glanced around, finally taking his hand.

"I'm not a very good dancer." I shyly laughed. We made our way to find some room on the crowded dance floor.

"Oh c'mon, I'm sure you got a few moves or two." Jesse laughed and twirled me around as we danced to a catchy song Third Strokes belted out. I've never been this close to Jesse before. He didn't have his mask on, and I could see his face fully. He grew a light moustache, and I hadn't realized his thick dark hair and eyebrows looked just like his brothers. 

We danced to the next song, and I enjoyed myself with him, his swanky dance moves weren't too bad either, as he shimmied his shoulders to the beat. I never laughed so hard. Third strokes tuned out their last song and the DJ took their place. Jesse grabbed my hands for another dance round.

"Can I cut in." The very familiar deep voice spoke out behind me, sending pleasant chills down my spine. I turned and faced a masked Eric. "You two seemed to be having too much fun for my liking." He growled.

My pulse quickened.

"Just a little harmless dancing big bro." Jesse chuckled, but Eric raised a brow at him. "Sure," he sighed to his brother and turned to me. "See you around Violet."

I smiled softly and watched Jesse walk away, vanishing in the dancing crowd.

I turned around slowly and found Eric studying me. My breath hitched. He took off his mask and I could see his handsome face. He hiked the corner of his lips that made me smile. His jade green eyes roamed my body again, making it tingle, and licked his bottom lips. My mouth was agape as I watched him.

"You look ravishing tonight Harper." Eric smirked. "It's making me think some very bad thoughts."

I bit my bottom lip as butterflies pooled in my belly. The DJ toned the music down as a slow song started to resonate across the floor. Guests were pairing up for a slow dance.

"May I," Eric interjected.

I gave a nod and took his hand. He led us to the middle of the dance floor. I glanced at the hologram of Bolt Investment against the wall behind the DJ as couples danced around us.

"Where's your date this evening, did Rebecca leave?" I sassed.

Eric coughed out a laugh. "No, she's mingling somewhere." He eyed me. "I promised her she could be my date for the gala some time ago. I honored my promise that's all."

I shrugged, not smiling.

Eric's right hand grasped my hand while his other touched my mid-back. His fingers grazed my exposed skin as his hand travelled my back lower, sending a trail of flutters in its wake. I gripped his hand harder. He smirked at me knowingly.

He swayed me softly with the tune of the music. His expensive cologne embraced my body. I breathed him in deep.

"Did I always have this effect on you?" He asked close to my ear, as he drew my body closer to his. Pulling me in.