Protection and Frustration

Artemis' POV

    Everyone freezes at the sound of the heavy knock on the door, pure frustration rocking through me at the amount of things that have gone disturbingly wrong since I woke up this morning.

   As soon as the sun started peaking over the vast valleys and land that stretches beyond the palace walls, I had gotten from bed and gathered some clothes to pack inside a satchel left in my bedroom from a horseback ride a few days ago.

   My palms sweat as I look from Bri, to Anna and Percy behind me at the windows, dread pooling in my stomach for not thinking this through.

   When Percy and Annabelle arrived at my chambers this morning, I told them that they had to stay inside where it was safe until we could get away, ignoring their questions as I began to worry about Bri and how to get to her and save her, but thankfully she found me. She soft body presses against mine softly as if looking for assurances, and the soft brush of her breast against the underside of my own, makes my throat dry with a shiver that skates down my spine.

    I slowly push Bri away and motion the three confused figures into my bedroom chambers, clearing my throat and smoothing my dress before heading towards the door to my rooms.

    When I open it, I see the twins waiting for me with smiles that don't quite reach the worried look that has settled behind their eyes. "Hey, Princess, we're here to escort you to the throne room, at once." My heart rate speeds up, but I take a breath, and lower it, not wanting to alert the other of my panic.

     "What for?" I ask, stalling, looking for a way out of this, but of course, there never can be.

    "Your next suitor will be arriving shortly." Marcus tells me, his eyes cutting towards his brother in a worried gesture, Marco's usually playful eyes, now serious and drone like, sending a shiver up my spine.

     "Thank you. Wait here, and I'll come out shortly." I tell them before closing the door in their face before they can respond, knowing they're not allowed to enter a Royal's closed living quarters without invitation. I walk back towards Bri, reaching out to wrap my arm around her waist, my hand falling against her soft round hip, the warm lightening spreading from the touch, calming. I lead her towards Percy and Annabelle and start. "You three need to get out of here now." I tell them, and Percy immediately interjects.

    "Princess, I'm not leaving this castle without you. I'm your advisor, it's my job to stay by your side and help you with whatever lays in your path." He tells me, a second away from ripping off his shirt and banging his chest to prove he can protect me, but I stop the overprotective man with a hand in the air.

    "You're right, Percy. I need you to be by my side when I figure out how the hell I'm going to save my kingdom. So I need you to leave, and protect my Knot, the future Princess, and Anna from anyone that tries to keep you here. If we all leave together now, they'll catch us in no time. But I can buy you some time, and follow you out tonight. I need them safe." I tell him, trying not to wince from Bri pinching me, punishing me for using the damsel in distress card on her behalf.

    I see him frown as if not convinced, but a hard look from me, and a glance at a scared Anna and he nods, determination settling on his features as he goes into protector mode.

    I turn towards my Knot and smile softly at her, bringing my hands up so that one is settled on her soft supple hips and one lightly rubbing her cheek, my heart squeezing in my chest at the thought of letting her out of my sight, even if I know that she can't stay here anymore. "I know you can protect yourself, but for my peace of mind, I need you to stay with Percy and Annabelle. You can be in charge of where you got for all I care, in fact, strategy wise it's probably for the best since no one knows about your family or where you like to go. Just.... just promise me you'll be alright?" I beg Briana, knowing that if I lost this little light of hope that Goddess bestowed onto me, I would be lost to the world for eternity.

    I feel my body tense, readying myself for the lecture about telling her what to do and not trusting her to be safe, but to my surprise, I see her eyes melt before her body does the same, leaning into my hands and then my body, wrapping her arms gently around my waist.

    "I will. I'll stay with them and take them home and make sure that no matter what, we will be okay for when you come find us." She promises me quietly and I feel the hand around my heart ease up the pressure as she squeezes me to her chest lightly, the soft swell of her breast holding the beat of her heart, letting me know that she's okay, and she'll stay that way.

    I lean back and place a gentle kiss atop her forehead, letting my lips linger along her caramel skin and I feel our bodies shudder in unison at the lighting that spots down our bodies.

   With a sense of annoyance, I force myself to let my Knot go, her body slowly retracting from safety of my grasp. I turn back towards Percy and Annabelle and see my friends with tears in their eyes and worry etched around their foreheads, and I try to give them a reassuring smile, even though I feel like I'm a big fraud, marching myself and my friends towards a bitter end.

   I stop the negative thoughts in their tracks, and instead offer instructions to my staff and lifelong friends.

   "Percy, the twins are taking me to see another suitor. As soon as I leave, count to sixty and then get out of here. Take the servant halls and stairs, and any shafts if you can find one. Don't let anyone see Bri, get her covered. Take one of Jaspers cars and go wherever Bri tells you to. And don't trust anyone." I tell him, directing the last sentence towards all three of them and they give solemn nods. "Be safe." I tell them before turning on my heel and walking towards the door to my chambers, not pausing as I walk past my Knot once more, goodbye seeming too permanent a word, and anything else would break me down into tears begging her not to leave me. But I need her to go, because if anything were to happen to her I would never forgive myself, never mind Alex.

   Just as I get passed her, I feel a soft hand wrap it's way around my wrist stopping me in my tracks and I feel dread pool in my stomach as I wait for the cursed words to come, but when I turn, a small body crashes into my chest, a strong hold placed around my waist as the sweet smell of Sunflowers and Rain touch my nose, and I breathe the smell in deeply, the soft locs of her hair tickling my nose but I don't care.

   "Come back to me." Is all she says, squeezing hard for only a moment before she steps back, and immediately turns, but not before I see her red tinted tear stained cheeks, and I almost stumble at the thought that my little butterfly that's so prone to flying away, has found a flower she allowed to grow some roots.

    "Always." I answer, and this time when I walk towards the door and open it, I feel calm, knowing that everything will be okay. "Let's go." I tell the twins as I close my chambers, a small smile set on my lips as I remember the way Bri's body felt against mine, etching the promise I made to her into my heart so that when this is all over, I can find my way back to her. Home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idk how i feel about this one I have to get back into how Artemis talks again. I really do enjoy this book.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: How was your thanksgiving?