Tea and Displeasure

Artemis' POV

    Jasper and I walk beside each other, my dress trailing softly behind me as my heels click against the mark le floors, softly announcing our arrival to everyone as we make our way down the halls.

    I bite my lip in nerves as two guards, ones I haven't seen before begin to trail behind us, a few feet behind Percy that follows us to our doom. While my brother is calm and collected, the usual sway of his hips present as always as we move through the halls, I can feel my heart rate begin to speed up in fear and anxiety over what may happen at Tea.

   While it's family that's going to be there, here in the Royal Court, family isn't as important as some may think it should be.

   The only time family is seen as soemthing of interest is when talking about having heirs to whatever power some may hold.

    It's taxing to know that you can't even believe and entrust your own family members with your lives and secrets. Everything is fair play when power is the goal, and it always is here. As we come down the hallway where the Court is held, outside of the door, we find a line of Warriors and Guards lining the walls, all here to protect one person above all, no matter who is in danger.

     Those who followed Jasper and I here step into place along the walls, their posture beyond perfect and while it's nice to have people that take their jobs so seriously, it also makes me wonder where the guards are that I grew up with.

   Percy walks ahead of my brother and I and pulls open the door, the two of us slipping in before he does so behind us, leaning against the wall inside the door as Jasper and I come in to the dinning room, spaces left open for the two of us, side by side on one end of the table by our mother, our aunt and cousin sitting across from us.

   "Hello, Darling, I didn't think you would come." Mother says, reaching out a hand to Jasper who walks towards her as I pull out my seat and settle down.

   "Neither did I, but I figured I should be here for the support of my sister." He states smoothly and Susanna across the table form me narrows her eyes at me.

    "Support of what? Her posture?" She sneers and I hear a few people chuckle around the room and I will my cheeks not to burn, only having been here less than a minute and already feeling the heat of being back under their gazes, power filling the room from around the table.

    Jasper sits next to me, slouching in his chair deliberately with a raised brow in the direction of our cousin. "Now, Suzi, let's not forget who taught you all you know." He chastises.

    Susanna looks away as if she doesn't remember when we were younger and close and how I helped her be like a princess. She said she wasn't good enough to be one and I taught her I could. My first mistake was letting her think she was on the same level as me, because now, she swear she's better.

    "Enough, children." Mother says, glaring at me though I haven't said a word, she gestures towards the people around the table with a smile. "We're having this tea to discuss what we're going to do with the Crown until Artemis takes it." She shares and there's a few nods around the table as I frown, my body tending up at the words.

    "I thought I was supposed to take the Crown once I returned home form the South and Queen Sara approved that I was ready to take the the thrown." I tell her, reciting the words that have been stuck in my head for the past two years as I've tried to get out of it. My Aunt Sara told me that I was born to lead and though I may not want it, the Crown will always be mine.

    "Stop whining, Artemis." My Aunt Lucile tells me with a look of distaste as if she smells something foul.

    "She's merely asking when did plans change. Even I wasn't aware of this and as those who are supposed to be leading our people next in line, this is information we should be aware of dear Auntie." Jasper says, his posture still appalling as he picks at his nails, the perfect image of disinterest. I don't know why Jasper doesn't want the Crown, he's perfect for it.

   "Very well." I turn my head to the Water Master, piercing blue eyes finding mine form a few heads down the table. "We came to the agreement that without her Knot by her side, Artemis should not be Crowned."

    "That has never been law. Are you telling me that I need someone to help me with leading?" I ask calmly even as rage peeks through, wanting to be let out against these infuriating people.

   "We aren't sure what you are ready for." The Earth Master reasons, calm and steady through the rising unease. "I don't believe you need anyone but perhaps aid would help you with something you've been absent for." She tries to explain.

    "That is what I am here for as well as Percy. We are the start of her team that she still hasn't been granted permission to keep growing. She doesn't need a Knot, she needs faith." Jasper says, sitting up from his comfortable position but while some are listening, the Fire Faerie scoffs loudly, the tattoos on her face as wild and scary as her personality.

    "How can we give her faith when she doesn't even know what she's doing?"

    "I have spent the last two years studying, aiding in internal and external affairs. I helped Water Faeries with their duties, was an apprentice to every type of Faerie but one. I made executive decisions for both the Court, the castle and the people and for the nod of approval by the whole Court in the South. I have plenty of experience." I tell them, looking each of them in the eye.

    And then a soft voice or heard over the sound of the many voices, everyone gaining silence as our most important Master speaks up. "I don't agree that you need to find you Knot, Princess, but there are some things you must learn and experience before you become one with the Crown."

   Ciara speaks to me in a soothing soft tone, easily heard over everyone else, the Spirit Faerie looking deep into my eyes and I know that if she has voted against me, then that's it.

   "So then it's decided." Mother says as if smug, and it makes me frown as I try to figure out why she would be happy about this decision. "We will hold off on Princess Artemis gaining her Crown until she has met her Knot. Until then, the Kingdom will be run by this group of people. And while it is a majority rule, anything may be Vetoed by me, or my sister, Princess Lucile." She announces and there are nods around the table.

    "You're passing on whatever laws that you make and enforce on to my brother and I." I say and she turns towards me as if to say 'so what?' Before I can snap at her, Jasper speaks up from beside me.

    "We should have an executive say so in whatever you decide and nothing should be passed behind our backs. We're the future of this land and it's people and if that's so, we need a say something that when we did take Court, everything is ready for us to lead fair and just." Jasper explains smoothly and I can't help but feel envy over him being about to talk about these things without wanting to hit something.

   Mother tilts her head to the side, much more interested in Jasper's words than she was in mine but I try to ignore it.

    "Very well. But in order for something to be Vetoed, you have to agree and have an alternative." She tells me. And I'm doomed. While most would see this as just and fair, they haven't met my brother. While I love him, and he loves me in return, the two of us very rarely agree in anything except our family. That and Jasper hates going to Court, most of all, a Council meeting.

    Getting him in here will be almost as hard as the two of us agreeing. And she knows that. But instead of yelling like I want to, the only thing I can do is close my mouth and nod making her smile brightly before she motions to the servants along the wall.

   "Now, let's have that tea."

~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Goddess this book is going to be so good. And I think what I am going to do, is write all night. I may do multiple chapters at once or there may be hours in between updates. But content is coming your way!

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Do you like cinnamon?