Chapter 6

Kageyama shifted uncomfortably on the couch. He glanced at the wall clock. 2:19 a.m. His ankle was keeping him awake, sending random jolts of pain every few minutes. Every time he was close to falling asleep, his body would wake him up in agony. So he lay there, cursing his luck, hoping he could get at least an hour of sleep.

     He was about to fall asleep again when he heard the shuffling of feet and sat up, propping himself up on his elbows. Oikawa came down the stairs and went into the kitchen. He didn't notice Tobio, who squinted as the kitchen light turned on, assaulting his eyes.

     He contemplated whether to call out to his senpai but decided otherwise. What would I even say? He would just snap at me. And why should I even talk to him? I don't want to deal with his shitty attitude anyways...

     The light turned off after a few seconds as Tooru's silhouette walked away. Kageyama lay down again, the couch creaking under his weight. Oikawa stopped in front of the stairs and turned around.

     "Tobio-chan?"

     Kageyama shut his eyes and pretended to sleep. He didn't want to talk to him. He lay there in silence for a few moments, waiting to hear footsteps fading away.

     Silence.

     Maybe he's gone now... He opened one eye. A dark figure loomed over him, inches away from his face.

     "Aaaa!" Kageyama screamed, jumping up. A painful shock immediately followed, making him hiss and clutch his ankle in pain.

     The dark figure walked over to the wall and turned on the light. Tobio looked up, rubbing his eyes to get used to the illuminated room. He recognised the figure through his blurry vision.

     "O-Oikawa-san?"

     "Ah so you were awake." Tooru walked back to the couch and sat at the end.

     "I thought you went upstairs."

     "Were you waiting for me to be gone?" Oikawa propped his face up on his palms and smiled.

     Creepy... Kageyama didn't answer. He stared at his blanket, hoping his senpai would leave it be and go away.

     "So? Why are you awake?" Oikawa asked, leaning back on the arm of the couch.

     "I couldn't sleep." Tobio pulled his feet inside the blanket slowly, dragging it against the surface and wincing in pain.

     Oikawa caught a sight of them before they disappeared under the blanket. His ankle was looking a little swollen now. No wonder, he thought and turned to his kouhai.

     "Did you put any medicine on it?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

     "Umm, no." Kageyama answered with a blank face. "I don't carry anything like that."

     "Why the hell not? Are you stupid?" Tooru yelled suddenly, surprising his junior. Realising what he was doing, he calmed himself down and cleared his throat. "Baka. You don't even have the slightest common sense, do you? Sit here."

     Oikawa stood up and turned towards the staircase when he heard Kageyama mumble.

     "Oh no, I was planning to run away with my injured ankle!" He exclaimed sarcastically in a low voice. He thought Tooru didn't hear it when the latter turned around with a glare. Tobio snapped his head the other way with a sharp gasp, scared.

     Oikawa was back soon with a tube of medicine and flicked it at his kouhai's face. "Here you go."

     "Thank you." Kageyama opened the tube and started inching his foot closer. The pain worsened with every movement and he bit his lip to stop himself from yelping.

     His senpai stood there, tapping his foot impatiently, clearly irritated by how long it was taking. After a few moments, he sighed and stormed towards the couch. "Oh for god's sake..."

     He snatched the medicine out of Kageyama's hands and grabbed his leg. Tooru ignored his kouhai flinching and applied it on his ankle, still looking irritated. He snapped the cap shut, stood up and flicked it at Kageyama's face again.

     "Here, keep it. I was going to take it back but you would probably annoy me again so it's better for you to keep it."

     Kageyama stared at the tube of medicine which hit his nose and fell on his lap, then looked up at Oikawa. "Really? Arigato."

     "But you know Tobio-chan..." Tooru suddenly bent down, his face inches away from Kageyama's. "If you're going to stay this weak, I'm gonna leave you far behind." He smirked.

     Tobio blinked, taken aback, jerking his face away slightly. A familiar feeling came over him, something he hadn't felt in years. He couldn't put a finger on it however.

     Tooru waited for an answer as he stood there, but there was nothing. He caught the quick change in his kouhai's eyes as the latter stared at him. Realising his position, he pulled himself back and turned away quickly, redness taking over his face.

     "Go to sleep." He didn't wait for a reply and jogged up the stairs without another glance at his junior.

     Kageyama fell asleep soon after while his senior lay awake with his headphones on, thinking about what had just happened. He hated how the look in Tobio's eyes changed. It was that same look again. It irritated him to no end. He wondered what was wrong with himself.

     Why do I keep letting myself be bothered by that look? Why can't I just ignore it? I hate it so much.

     He shifted all around his bed, trying to fall back asleep but that moment kept replaying in his head like a broken record. Finally after what felt like forever, he was able to shut his eyes and sleep, mumbling out loud what he had been saying in his mind all along.

     "I hate those blueberry eyes."

______________