Chapter 8

"You damn brat! Do it again, I dare you." Oikawa clutched the cards in his hands.

     "But Oikawa-san I didn't do anything wrong", Kageyama answered innocently.

     "I dare you to put another draw four on me, I'll kick you out of my room."

     "Jeez, what a sore loser..." Kageyama muttered under his breath.

     Oikawa narrowed his eyes. "What was that?"

     "Nothing." Kageyama hid behind his cards.

     "Whatever, I'm bored of this!" Tooru snatched the cards from his kouhai's hands and smiled. "Let's just say I won, okay?"

     Kageyama stared at his senpai in silence for a while, then snapped his head to the side and chuckled. He turned back and got the jumpscare of his life. Tooru face was almost against his, darkened and although he was smiling, his eyes screamed "bloody murder".

     "What are you laughing at?" He whispered.

     "N-nothing Oikawa-san." Tobio was looking anywhere but into his senpai's eyes. He was sure if he looked into them too long, he would die of a heart attack.

     Tooru backed away and threw himself onto the pillows. He was bored. If the weather was any good, he would go to hang out with his nephew or Iwaizumi but it had been raining for two days now and it didn't look like it would stop anytime soon and his friend was at the training camp. He had planned to call Iwaizumi but the network had been shitty since it had started raining. From the corner of his eye, he looked at his kouhai.

     Kageyama sat at the edge of the bed, staring at his leg. He tried to move his ankle, then hissed in pain and clicked his tongue. He shivered as a cold breeze flew in through the sliding doors that were slightly cracked open. His head felt heavy and his entire body was hot. The questions hovering in his head didn't help and he wanted to get rid of them in case his fever worsened. He slowly shifted his gaze towards Oikawa only to catch his senpai already looking at him.

     Tooru was caught by surprise and snapped his head to the other side. "What do you want?"

     Tobio turned his body towards Oikawa. "Umm... Did anything happen last night? I can't remember anything clearly."

     Oikawa's eyes widened as the image of his kouhai's face from last night resurfaced in this mind and he sprang up from the bed and walked towards the sliding glass doors.

     "No, nothing happened. When I came back, you were sleeping like the blissful ignorant idiot you are."

     "Oh. Okay." Kageyama was a bit confused but decided to let it go.

     Tooru sighed in relief. Fortunately his kouhai didn't remember anything. He turned his face to look at Tobio as another cold breeze flew in. Kageyama had been shivering ever so slightly all day. His cold hadn't gone down at all and he came down with fever right after. He closed the doors and sat back down on the bed, behind his kouhai.

     Kageyama was staring at his leg again when he felt a blanket being wrapped around his back. He turned around in surprise to see Oikawa shifting back to his side of the bed and picking up a book to block his view.

     "Thank yo—" Tobio started but didn't get to finish.

     "Shut up." Oikawa didn't bother looking at his kouhai.

     Tooru didn't notice how much time had passed when he finally put his book down. He was turned to the side now, away from Kageyama. He had felt his kouhai shift on the bed but didn't check what he was doing. He rolled over and immediately took a sharp breath. Right beside him, his kouhai was sleeping peacefully, his cheeks flushed and breaths soft and slow. His hair was swamped against the pillow, exposing his forehead.

     "Kawaī ne!" The words slipped out before Oikawa could realise what he was saying. He slapped his hand on his mouth and looked the other way.

     Kageyama stirred beside him. He opened his eyes a bit then closed them at once, burying his face in his arms with a groan.

     Tooru glanced at him from the corner of his eye. Did he notice? He held his breath, hoping his kouhai didn't wake up. When he was sure Tobio was asleep again, he finally let out a sigh and got up.

...

     Kageyama opened his eyes to complete darkness. He rubbed them, trying to get rid of the blurry vision. The moonlight coming through the balcony lit up the side of the bed he was sitting on. Pushing the blanket aside, he swung his legs out of the bed, ready to get up when his ankle shot him a bolt of pain. He cried out and clutched his leg, cursing under his breath. The door creaked open at the moment and the light turned on, causing him to guard his eyes.

     "What do you think you're doing?" An annoyed voice rang in his ears.

     He moved his hands and turned his head towards the door to see Oikawa leaning against the doorframe.

     "I was getting out."

     "Why?"

     "I—"

     "What part of resting your leg so it gets better sooner do you not understand?"

     "I was just—"

     "Listen here brat, the sooner you get better, the sooner you will be out of here and I'll be free from you. So I'm not letting you move your stupid legs unless absolutely necessary. Understood?"

     Kageyama nodded and reached for his phone. His eyes widened as he saw the notification and quickly dialed a number and put it against his ear. Disappointed, after a few seconds, he snapped it shut and scowled.

     "Dammit!"

     Oikawa raised an eyebrow and asked, "What happened?"

     "Hinata called me while I was sleeping. I called back but it won't connect now."

     "The network will be messed up until it stops raining probably so forget about calling them." Oikawa looked at his kouhai still scowling at his phone. "Well whatever, come down if you don't want to starve tonight."

     He shrugged and left the room, hoping Tobio would forget about the call and follow him. He was curious about what chibi-chan would be calling his junior for but left the thought alone for later.

     He lay wide awake in his bed again, well into the night. There was now an empty space beside him as his kouhai slept downstairs on the couch. The image of a sleeping Kageyama flashed in his mind. His eyes were closed this time so he didn't see the familiar look in them but the feeling whenever Tooru looked into them strangely lingered around him. Surprising himself, he didn't reject the feeling this time, and instead of creeping him out, it returned the favour and warmed up to him. He stayed like that for a while, staring at the empty space, then finally sighing, shook the thought out of his mind and closed his eyes, putting his arm over them.

     I don't mind those blueberry eyes.

______________