Chapter 18

Kageyama warmed his hands up at the grill, shivering in the cold wind. Since it was the last day at the camp, the coaches and teachers had arranged another barbecue for them and left them to their own to enjoy.

     He picked up a plate of meat and stood there, looking around for his teammates. The chilly wind froze him to the bone and he closed his eyes as it dried them out. He was about to eat when he bumped his hand into someone.

     "Sorry, I wasn't looking..." Kageyama trailed off as he lifted his head up to see Iwaizumi.

     "It's fine." Iwaizumi assured him.

     Tobio understood at once from the look in his eyes. He knew. He knew what happened. Iwaizumi was about to say something when Hanamaki and Matsukawa called him from behind. He hesitated a bit, then nodded at Kageyama and walked away.

     Kageyama buried his face into his scarf putting the plate down. His appetite was gone. He put his hand over his eyes as he tried to keep the memories from coming back. Taking a deep breath he opened his eyes when Hinata's voice rang in his ears.

     "Hey, it's the Great King!" Hinata waved his arm beside Kageyama.

     Tobio turned towards the entrance of the yard in surprise. Tooru stood there at the gate, looking at him. For a moment, he thought he was hallucinating. He bit his lip to make sure he was real.

     "Why are you here?" Kageyama said, a storm of emotions rising inside him.

     "Tobio-"

     "Why are you here?" Kageyama shouted, surprising everyone.

     Everyone stopped in their tracks and veered their attention towards Kageyama, shocked at the sudden outburst. They looked back and forth towards Oikawa and him, trying to figure out what happened.

     "Kageyama why are you-" Daichi rushed towards him but stopped as Iwaizumi put an arm in front of him, shaking his head.

     "Kageyama, hear him out." He called out from behind Tobio and softly pulled away Hinata from beside him.

     Oikawa looked down at the ground. All through the way he had thought about what he was going to say but now that he was standing in front of Tobio, his mind was completely blank.

     "Go away." Kageyama clenched his fists, trying to keep the tears at bay. He felt an invisible chain wrap around his heart and tighten.

     "Tobio, hear me out." Tooru's voice was soft, pleading.

     "Why? Why should I? Why do you keep appearing in front of me like a ghost out of old times? Why do you keep coming back when I'm trying to forget you?" Kageyama shouted, water pouring out of his eyes without consent.

     Oikawa flinched at the harshness. The cold breeze swept it up and enveloped him in it.

     "I'm sorry." He repeated the empty words, still unable to say what he desperately wanted to. The fear lurking inside his mind won't let him. Angry tears pricked his eyes as he cursed himself.

     "How many times are you going to say that? How long are you going to keep pretending to care? You lied to me..." Kageyama's face grew warm as the hot tears flowed down his face.

     Every single time you touched me, every single time you looked at me... I want you to know. Tobio wanted to shout. He wanted to let Tooru know why hearing him call out his name tore his heart into pieces. The three words he couldn't say coiled into a rope and slowly choked him.