Chapter 32

Chapter 32

.

.

.

.

.

.

《The Next Morning》

I couldn't sleep. I hadn't slept since I saw our children. They were stunningly beautiful and fragile looking. With their little caps snuggled on their heads and the tubes strapped along their incubators.

But.

I was also excited to see my love again. I just wanted to hold her in my arms and never let her go. It was nerve wrecking and exciting at the same time. I could imagine her beautiful yet tired golden brown eyes staring at me while a smile slowly slid across her face.

"Jackson...? Why are you up so early?" My mother asked, pulling me from my thoughts while stirring from her sleep as I looked down at my watch. She was, indeed, right. It was now sporting five AM. I had been up for six hours.

"I-I'm just too excited to go back to sleep," I whispered while pacing back and forth again. There was so much on my mind at this moment. "Mom, I saw our children," I added while covering my mouth quietly. I just wanted to cry for a minute.

"Son, come sit down and relax." She whispered while patting the red leather cushion next to her as I quietly hurried over in long strides and sat down. "Now, close your eyes and take a deep breath." She added while gently rubbing my back as I placed my elbows on my knees so I could support my head, which I put in my hands. Slowly taking a few deep breaths, I stared down at the dirty linoleum floor.

"Mom, they were so beautiful," I whispered while biting my bottom lip, suppressing my tears and sobs. I wasn't going to cry. Not now, not ever. It wouldn't make matters any better.

"I bet they are, hun." She whispered as I knew she was smiling. We've come so far just to break down in a pile of bitter tears.

"Jackson, Mrs. Sampson," Richard called out quietly as we looked up at him with hopeful eyes. "She's awake now." He added as I quickly stood up before hurrying over to him with my long strides. Turning back to my mom, she smiled at me and nodded.

"I'll see her when everybody wakes up." She whispered while continuing to smile as we both nodded before walking back down the same hallways but instead of turning left, we made a right and got into an empty elevator. As the doors closed, I leaned back on the cold metal wall, closing my tired eyes and resting my hands in the pockets of my gray business suit.

"Has she seen the children yet?" I asked, remaining in the same position as Richard chuckled lightly before placing his hand on my shoulder.

"They're the first ones who were in the room when she awoke, so she instinctively took them in her arms and started crying while kissing their little-capped heads. We didn't bother her until after she finished breastfeeding them. She wasn't happy to see them go, but I assured her that we'd bring them back to her after a few more tests to make sure that they were okay with the feeding and were still capable of breathing on their own." He whispered as if he were trying not to smile. It was evident that he was happy that his soon-to-be sister-in-law was okay and well.

"She's truly magnificent," I whispered as the elevator stopped and the doors slowly rolled open before I quickly opened my eyes and pushed off the walls. With a smile on his face, I followed behind Richard once again. It didn't take us long to stop in front of a door with three bold numbers on it.

6 5 2

I looked over at Richard who gave me an encouraging smile before nodding and patting my back softly. Sighing, I pulled my right hand out of my jacket pocket before reaching for the hooked doorknob of her room.

Would she remember me?

Quietly pushing the door open, I stepped forward before closing the door behind me as it squeaked softly.

This was it. I told myself while inhaling and exhaling slowly before quietly inching forward pass the corner as our eyes met. She laid on the bed with a pillow propped up behind her back so she'd be comfortable sitting up. Her right arm was all bandaged up to her neck while her head was also wrapped up in clean bandages.

"Jackson." She whispered as a smile slipped onto her smooth curvy lips while she gently held her arms up, quietly begging me to give her the love that we both needed.

"My love," I whispered back while rushing to her side before hugging and kissing her. "Oh, I missed you," I added once we withdrew. She stared up at me for a second before kissing me again.

"I missed you too, but I was sure I was dead until I saw you and the others. It was like my soul was out of my body." She informed as I smiled. She must have seen us all crying and praying for her and the babies well-being.

"So, you know I'm not alone?" I asked as she nodded before kissing the tip of my nose with her soft lips.

"Our son reminded me so much of you." She stated proudly as I pulled a seat over and sat down next to her bed before smiling.

"And our daughter reminds me so much of you with your beautiful facial features," I sighed happily while laying my head down on her lap. "I'm not hurting you, am I?" I asked while closing my tired eyes. It was hard for me to stay awake now.

"No, baby. You're just fine." She softly stated while running her fingers through my hair softly as I started to doze off. "I love you, my handsome prince." She added as I fell asleep there on her lap.