Chapter 3.5

Chapter 3.5
.

.

.

.

.
Ruby's POV

The Same Day, A Few Hours Before Scarlett Awoke~

Quickly pacing back and forth, I gazed over at my sister's unconscious body as the heart monitor beeped quietly in the background. The doctor has yet to announce anything about Scarlett and this wait was starting to piss me off.

"Jovonni, I'll be back. I'm going to go see what's taking so long." I stated while hurrying out of the room before she could reply. With quick strides and one thing on my mind, I hurried down the hallway as I almost ran into a doctor who had stopped me from crashing into him. "Just what type of establishment are you people running? How long do we have to wait before we're given some type of news on my sister?" I snapped while pushing away from him as I took in his appearance. His short jet black hair was a tousled mess upon his head, giving him a somewhat sexy look, while his dark blue eyes stared at me questionably.

"I apologize for your wait. Maybe, I could help you with your situation. What's the patient's name? I could probably get one of my assisting nurses to locate the results of the patient." He nodded as I sighed quietly before smiling up at him.

"Thank you. Her name is Scarlett Cammington." I stated while staring at him carefully. Where had I seen him before? A handsome face like his wouldn't be forgotten.

"Oh, I apologize again. I had to recheck the test results and her blood samples but I will tell you that your sister is going to be fine. Has she awakened yet?" He questioned as I shook my head. "Okay. I'll discuss everything with her whenever she awakes. Just press the nurse button and I'll be there." He added with a nod as I sighed in relief. "Goodbye for now, Miss..?"

"Ruby Cammington." I smiled while nodding as he smiled back. "This has been bothering me since I ran into you but, have we met? You look familiar." I added as he took a step back before looking me up and down.

"Now that you mention that, we have. I remember a beautiful woman like you. You were at that festival for writers in Chinatown." He nodded while smiling like a little kid. "I read your books and poems after you left. I must say, I absolutely loved them and was hoping that maybe...We could get to know each other more? You seem like a pretty intelligent woman." He questioned with a smile playing on his lips. Quietly laughing to myself, I nodded.

"Once my sister gets well, I would to get to know you better, Mister....?"

"Richard Arnett but you can call me Richard." He stated as I nodded. "How will I contact you?" He added as I searched my pockets for a pen. "Do you need this?" He questioned while holding out a pen as I smiled and nodded before he quickly shuffled through his clipboard. Handing me a clean piece of paper, I quickly wrote my cell phone number down before handing it back to him.

"It was nice meeting you, Richard." I smiled while turning and walking away.

[~~~]

It had been a few days after Scar had been released from the hospital and she was taking the surprising news well. Everything except for telling Jackson.

"Scar? Scarlett?" I questioned while shaking her quietly as she sat on the sofa of the living room, staring off into space. "Stop thinking about it, Scar." I stated while shaking her gently as she came back to me.

"That's kind of hard to do. What if he rejects this baby? What would I do then?" She questioned while waiting for my answer as I took a seat on the dark brown coffee table while staring back at her.

"Scar, a woman doesn't need a man to be strong. A woman can be as strong as a man without one and if that man rejects your baby, you have me, Jovonni, Papa and Nana to fall back on." I stated while patting her shoulder as my cell buzzed in my pocket.

"Thanks, Ruby. Do you think you can take me tomorrow? You know, to his job?" She questioned as I nodded.

"Of course! Anything for you, Scarlett." I smiled while squeezing her in a hug as she sighed quietly.

"You should answer that. It could be important." She whispered while pulling back as I shook my head. "I'll be fine for now. Go." She added with a nod as I sighed before standing and leaving. Making my way towards the kitchen, I pulled my phone out of my pocket before answering it with a hello.

"Ruby?" Richard asked from the other side of the phone as I smiled in victory.

"Yes, Richard? Its good to hear from you." I stated while walking into the kitchen only to be met by Jojo and a few rough looking guys. "How have you been?" I questioned while easing over towards Jojo who looked at me with a questioning look. As Richard told me about his day, I cupped my hand over the speaker before leaning towards my sister. "Jovonni, what the hell is going on?"

"Just speaking with a few of my buddies. We'll be out of here in a little bit." Jojo stated while quietly shuffling the cards as the guys around the table checked their poker chips before she quickly sealed out the cards.

"So, what do you say?" Richard questioned as I pulled the phone back to my ear.

"I'm sorry, Richard. I had to deal with my other sister and her friends. Could you repeat that for me?" I questioned while walking towards the fridge to see what I could make for us tonight since Scarlett's a little out of it.

"I was curious if you'd..umm..like to go out for some coffee tomorrow around 10 in the morning?"

"I would love to. I'll just have to drop my sister off and I'll be on the way. Alright, I'll see you tomorrow at ten. Goodnight, Richard." I smiled while about to hang up.

"Goodnight, beautiful." He replied back as I quickly hung up and sighed. He called me beautiful. Smiling, I continued on with my quest to find something to cook as Jojo cried out in joy as she raked in all the poker chips on the table.