Chapter 19

"A list of team pairings will be mailed to you by tonight. I want you all to go over everything sent, and send me your final project submissions in a month. Capiche?"

A chorus of agreements echo around the room as everyone packs up after class ends. International relations was my last class after pure math, so I was done for the day.

I slid out of my seat as soon as I was done putting my books away, speed walking out of the room and ignoring the glare fixed on the side of my face. I know I'm being immature but I can't help it - the weekend's events had confused me so much, and Reece's murderous glare was not helping. Everytime I rounded a corner I felt like he was there - trying to single me out, corner me, and not succeeding. I was scared he would one of these days, and say horrible things about me throwing myself on him.

I blew out a sigh as I left the class, checking my watch and noting that I had another 15 minutes to get to Joe's. From 4-10 I'd be working, and then Roxy would meet me there for drinks, seeing as it was a Friday.

I plugged in my earphones and played an old John Mayer playlist I always listened to when I felt like life was all over the place and too many things were going on in my mind, or even when I was happy, because it's John Mayer, the god of beautiful songs and sexy guitar skills. As I walked down the damp streets to Joe's with Wheel playing in my ears, I felt insignificant and lost. With the things with Reece and me drawing closer and closer to graduation, I felt like nothing was working in my favour at this point.

What do you think Reece will do after graduation? Which city will he live in?

I shook my head hard to get rid of the thought, probably looking like I was mental to the people on the sidewalks. My inner voice was going into territory I did not want to explore. It's not like one kiss would change everything that had happened, or confirm that he really has changed.

A sigh escaped my cold lips as I slipped through the slightly crowded path to enter into Joe's. I immedietly saw Joe behind the counter, talking to a customer while leaning against the bar.

Shivering as the cold air outside changed to warmth around me, I waved at him and shot him a small smile as I went into the hallway to drop off my bag and coat.

"Hey kid. How's college goin'?" Joe's scratchy voice from one too many smokes a day reached my ears as I exited the hallway and reached for my writing pad and pen. Joe did most things old school in his bar - and I loved it.

I turned around and slipped past the counter, helping Joe as he arranged beer mugs. There were no new customers, seeing as it was still 4.

I shrugged. "It's good, nothing new really. Oh, I got you a ticket for the home game in a few weeks, remind me to give it to you later."

He smiled and patted my head. "Thanks hon, you didn't have to, but thank you, I've been wanting to go to one of the Duke games but with the bar timings it's difficult."

I shot him a small smile and pulled his cheek as he grunted in consternation.

Joe cleared his throat as we continued to clean and put away glasses. "And everything else is fine? Nothing new? Nothing you want to tell me?"

I stopped what I was doing and shot him a guilty look as he narrowed his eyes on me. "Joe, I'm so sorry about the ruckus that day outside the bar, you know how Alex -"

"I don't care about no ruckus. I want to know if you're fine, and why the hell Alex wanted to beat that other guy up in the first place."

I sighed. "It's honestly nothing. Alex...got overprotective over a heated argument but it was fine afterwards."