Chapter 7

The two weeks after the cupcake incident flew by fast. Surprisingly (thankfully) Reece was bearable for that time.

The first series of tests was over, and although no one took them seriously everyone did quite well. Roxanne had passed, as she said, and that was all that counted.

It was a Friday afternoon, a beautiful day outside and the last day of the tests. Roxy and I were discussing what to do with our free evening when a very shrill scream startled us both and drew eyes to the entry to the courtyard, where we were sitting outside in the sun.

John, obviously, was the source of the scream. I had about 2 seconds to register the look of shock and happiness in his eyes before he bolted towards our table, picked me up in a bear hug and spun me around.

I was confused and slightly dizzy as I leaned against the table behind me.

"I did it Iris I PASSED THE TEST CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!"

He shoved a paper with a bright red B on the paper in my face and I realised it was the international business paper he had aced. I laughed in shock and hugged him tight, proud of how far he had gotten.

"You didn't just pass you did so well! That's one of the highest grades you can get in the class!" I said and excitedly shook his shoulders.

"I KNOW!" He screamed again and Roxanne winced next to me.

I kissed him on the cheek in a friendly peck. "I'm so so proud of you."

His eyes widened and grinned wide, pecking my cheek as well. I had to laugh at how adorable and excited he was.

My eyes suddenly met the person standing in the doorway of the busy courtyard. Reece's grey eyes seem to be shooting laser beams at John's back, probably because he was getting friendly with the enemy.

Those eyes shifted to me and the intensity knocked me off a little. I looked away quickly.

Thankfully John was busy teasing Roxanne. To my surprise, she had a smile on her face as she shook her head in a 'what will I do with you' way and congratulated John.

He clapped loudly to gain our attention. "I'm having a party at my place today and you both don't have a choice. If you're not there I will bludgeon you to death," he said cheerfully.

My eyes widened as Roxanne rolled hers.

"Where is your place anyway?" I asked John, deflecting the threat and trying to ignore the gaze still trained in our direction.

"I know what you're trying to do, you're not getting out of this." Roxy waggled a finger in my direction.

I rolled my eyes. "I'll think about-"

"No no no no. No excuses. You're coming and that's the end of it." John said with an actual glare. It was a bit scary.

I put my hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay, but only for a little while." I had to laugh at the way John's eyes narrowed.

******

The music was blaring when Roxy and I pulled up in her car in front of a large house. John's parents had bought a mansion-like home for him when he'd started university, but he didn't stay in it, renting it out most of the time to vacationers or throwing rare but iconic parties in the house.

"Let's do this," Roxanne exclaimed and parked in a free space. I observed her running her hands on the blood-red skirt she wore nervously. Like a good friend, I kept quiet but had to grin at how cute it was that she was nervous to see John.

"What?" She said in an accusing tone when we stepped out of the car and saw my expression.

"Nothing." I smiled secretly. She narrowed her eyes on me but walked ahead. I had chosen to wear jeans and a tight but comfortable square-neck top I loved a lot, leaving my hair down and open. I hadn't felt like dressing up a lot today, and the most fancy part of my outfit was the small silver hoops in my ears.