Chapter 2

I sighed and closed the door of my apartment with a loud bang, wincing at the sound. I was usually a little more grateful than that.

It was already thursday, and I couldn't be more glad. I needed a break, no matter how small, and friday was just around the corner. Professors were seriously loading us up with endless homework, and it took me hours to finish just one assignment. I was exhausted, but still enjoyed school no matter what. True to what Reece has called me on multiple occasions (usually in a mocking way), I was a total nerd.

Pushing him to the back of my mind I walked further into the apartment I called home, mentally jotting down a note to clean up during the weekend. I also had multiple chores to finish before I could even think about relaxing because I lived in an apartment by myself, which was a lot of work. But I loved it - living in a space I could call my own was a luxury I didn't intend to take for granted.

My bag fell to the floor as I tiredly removed the coat I wore, heading to my room. The apartment was a small 1 bedroom - my father had originally purchased a 4 bedroom in a premium place, which I had promptly sold, using the money to buy the smaller, cuter, but also safe apartment that faced the large open street, figuring it was the least I could do to give him peace of mind. The deed was in my dad's name, and I sent him rent monthly, much to his annoyance.

I collapsed on top of my bed and promptly fell asleep in exhaustion from the late night I had.

Almost 2 hours later, I woke up and headed to the kitchen to get something to drink. The kitchen in my apartment was surprisingly large for a relatively small apartment, one of the reasons I had bought it. It had all the appliances I could ever need and it was where I spent days cooking up new recipes and baking throughout the day. Roxanne was always over at the apartment because of this. She is what I affectionately call my taste tester - she gives me feedback on everything I make.

The setting sun casts orange glows on the walls, making it seem ethereal. I sat down on the barstools for a while and just stared at it, lost in the silence and calming atmosphere of my house.

It was so easy for me to slip into another world, to keep dreaming and not realise where reality existed.

Exhausted and in dire need of any sort of caffeine, I made myself a cup of green tea and sat down on the chair facing the desk in my living room. I liked to keep the working and sleeping areas separate because otherwise, I'd keep feeling lazy at the sight of my bed.

3 gruelling hours later I finished up a few papers, did a little cleaning in the apartment and wrote down what I needed to get done over the weekend. Just as I was starting a small dinner of just a light stir fry my phone rang and showed my dad's picture on the caller ID.

Wiping my hands on my sweatpants I picked up the phone and cheerfully answered.

"Hey, Dad! How's life in Manhattan." I said, smiling to myself because I knew how much he hated his office in New York. He's a prominent lawyer and owns his own law firm that specialises in a bunch of different specialisations, including blue-collar criminal work, tort cases and other very interesting albeit dangerous subdivisions.

My father sighed wearily, making my eyebrows furrow in concern. "It's gruelling work like you already know. I'm also stuck on this one case that is taking me too long to gather documents on. Anyway, nevermind that -"

"Dad, how many times have I told you that you should stick to less stressful cases and give the big ones to Carl or the other junior partners? Seriously, you're 63, not 25."

"I know, I know, but this one was for a close friend." I almost dropped my spatula in frustration at his repetitive excuses. He continued in a rushed voice, clearly wanting to change the topic. "Okay, I called because Aunt Clare asked me to remind you that Lucy's wedding is two months away, it's going to be held in the family house-"