Chapter 20

Reece

"They're what?!?"

I turned my head at John's shout and watched him pace around in the kitchen, listening to the person on the other side of the call. My kitchen wasn't that big, like the living room was, owing to lackluster cooking skills. Maybe a bigger kitchen would be warranted for Iris though, since she cooked and baked all the time.

Slow the fuck down, dude. If she heard you talk this way she'd run for the hills screaming.

"Okay, yeah, I'll be there. Thanks again, Christian."

My eye twitched at that. I liked Christian, but the memory of him talking about how hot Iris was and wanting to ask her out in the beginning of the year to John still filled me with irritation. Since freshman year I've been warning off boys like him to stay away from her with lies like her having an STD to justify said warnings.

My obsession and bullying was toxic from day 1 - it just took me time to really get that it was unfair to her, and that I could have her in a different way, satisfy the beast inside me that craved and only calmed when Iris was with me or around me.

"Reece, I'll see you tomorrow, I have to go to Joe's." John rushed around and picked up his jacket and keys from the coffee table I had my feet propped up on. Seeing his urgency I got up and followed him to the door.

"What's up?"

He sighed, opening the door. "Roxy and Iris, they're drunk and walking back home alone, Christian just called and said he can't drop them he doesn't have his car."

I raised my eyebrows and quickly grabbed my phone and keys, closing the door to my apartment behind me. I ignored John's shocked expression as we walked out of my unit to my truck.

"I shouldn't be surprised but I still kind of am. Can't think of any other person you'd do this for." John said with a smirk as he slipped into the passenger seat of my car. I rolled my eyes and started the engine, reversing quickly out of the lot and driving towards Joe's.

"As if you treat Roxy just like you'd treat anyone else." I mumbled.

"Ofcourse I do!" John exclaimed. We both knew this was a lie.

"Did he say how drunk they are? If they're alone?"

John nodded. "It's just the two of them, and apparently they're at can't-walk-straight level of drunk."

I cursed and sped up, reaching Joe's within a few minutes. We drove forward on the road leading from Joe's to Iris's apartment, looking for the two of them and getting more and more worried when they weren't to be seen.

I could see John cracking his knuckles nervously as I slowly drove down the road, just before I spotted two small figures ahead.

John saw this too, and sighed in relief. I sped up a little and screeched to a halt next to them, making the black haired beauty step back as she supported her friend.

"Get in the car."

A few seconds passed and the two of them still stood outside. "Now!"

My shout made Iris jump. John stepped out of the truck and opened the back door, helping Iris and then Roxy in. He scanned the area after the door was closed with a tense posture.

"Check your 5." John muttered as he slid into the passenger seat, making me tilt my head a little and check the rear view mirror on my side. I cursed when I saw two men hiding in an alleyway, eyes trained on us as they tried to act non challant.

It was clear they were following the girls, being forced to hide when we arrived.

"I'm so glad we got here on time," John muttered as I gunned the engine, still keeping my eyes on the men.