Chapter 23

How Iris looks according to me, but obviously y'all can imagine her any which way ^ 🥰

*****

I let out a sigh as I stare at the large marks on my neck in the bathroom mirror. Marks Reece left.

The one time I did need my turtleneck the most was when I didn't have it as I had lent it to Roxy, who unfortunately was not picking up my calls, probably sleeping in.

My reflection seems to mock me as I try one last time to dab concealer on the most visible marks, which barely creates a dent in them, and is the extent of my makeup skills. In my bra, I can see the marks move down, scattered around my breasts. A flush spreads over my body as I think about Reece's actions today early in the morning. He had left for classes after one last slow kiss in my sleepy daze, after which I had slept and woken up before my first class at 11.

I sigh and quickly slip on my shirt, spraying a bit of perfume and using some moisturizer, the extent of my getting ready routine in the mornings. Walking to the kitchen I grab a travel mug and fill it with coffee from the pot, adding some sugar and closing the cap.

I climb down the stairs of my building quickly, pushing my bag higher on my shoulder after locking the door behind me. My open hair flys behind me as I jog out the door, having a little more energy than I usually do in the morning.

Wonder why.

As soon as the thought springs up in my mind I banish it, starting the walk to college. I don't get far before I car pulls up beside me, making me turn and see Cullen in the driver's seat.

"Fancy a ride neighbour, it's on the way for me."

I start to protest but he waves me in, and I falter, deciding to get in. I open the door of his SUV, using the step to climb in. "Thank you so much,  you didn't have to -"

Cullen shakes his head. "Iris it's fine, it's on the way and I enjoy your company." His head turns to me after starting the car, an unreadable look in his darkened eyes, their focus making me blush. He glances down and his eyes narrow, scanning my visible skin.

His jaw clenches as he puts the car into gear, facing forward. For the whole short ride to college, Cullen replies to my questions with short answers and stares at me in a strange way, and I feel awkward and hurt when we finally stop in front of campus, students streaming in.

"Thanks a lot for the ride Cullen, I'll see you later," I shoot him a small smile and grab the door handle. Before I can pull it open, a hand stops mine and I turn to Cullen, his face too close to mine and his hand on my wrist. He slowly lets go, eyes on mine, but stays leaning towards me.

I breathe out in a rush when his fingers graze my neck, realizing he is glaring at the hickeys on my skin. His touch, although soft, feels like a warning, and I can't help but automatically compare it to Reece's.

"He doesn't deserve you, you know," Cullen mutters, eyes hard. A tick in his jaw makes me lean back a little. "You should make your choices carefully, Iris. And keep in mind the alternatives." Although he doesn't say it, it's clear he is referring to himself as one of those choices. I knew from the beginning I considered him a good friend, but I now realize he may see me as more.

Cullen's hand strays up, his palm enclosing my cheek. His thumb grazes my lips, eyes fixed on them, and I blow out the breath I was holding, suddenly feeling like his touch is all wrong and not whose touch I do want.

My hand reaches for the door handle and I jump out, ignoring Cullen calling my name behind me. I rush past the students going in and enter campus, leaning on a pillar to the side to catch my breath, confused and flushed.