Chapter 3

"...so then he says this incredibly cheesy line, as usual, and that freakin irritating smirk of his and I was this close to punching him."

I laugh at Roxanne as we walk back from the sushi place. We ate so much in the restaurant that we decided to walk to let it all go down easier.

"Oh, I'm sorry is something amusing?" Roxanne turns back, purple hair tips flying dramatically as she narrows her eyes on me. Mine widen as I hold up two hands and grin at her.

She rolls her eyes and turns back, falling into step with me. "God I hate him." She mutters under her breath.

"You know.." I begin. "I don't think he does it to irritate you. Well, he does, but because he likes y-"

"Tat tat tat." She interrupts me, knowing full well how I would end the sentence. She again dramatically flips her hair, looking away and probably annoyed at my repetitive reply to her bitching about John.

It was so cute how they annoyed one another to no end, hiding the attraction both felt with each other. I could see it, and I'm pretty sure everyone else could as well, but they were both blind to it.

As we continued onwards to my apartment, her bitching and me rolling my eyes at her and laughing, we were suddenly intercepted by a very drunk man who swayed slightly on his feet.

"You're my.....Annnngelll." he suddenly belted, stretching the last word till his voice hilariously cracked. He then started mumbling to himself as Roxanne and I looked at him with wide eyes.

The man stumbled back a little and looked at me. His red-rimmed eyes tried to widen in surprise but couldn't the level of intoxication he was experiencing.

"L-Lauren? Is that...is t-that you?" he said, squinting his eyes. Roxanne and I were still frozen in shock. "I've missed you so much, baby." His voice cracked and he suddenly started sobbing, falling forward towards us.

We step aside and part in time, as he comes dangerously close to face-planting but instead continues sobbing and walking, singing the Aerosmith's Angel in a scratchy and drunk voice.

The two of us face at each other the same time, still wide-eyed, and burst out laughing.

"....Annnngelll" Roxanne imitates with the same crack in her voice, making me bend over as we enter the apartment to catch my breath from laughter.

"No, Lauren! You can't do that. I love you remember!" Roxanne drunk exclaims, making me laugh again.

People, I then notice, are staring at us as we try not to burst out laughing again.

"Miss Grace?" I straighten out and walk to the concierge as he calls my name. 

"I just need to discuss something about the maintenance charges for this month, if you have a few minutes...?"

"Sure." I said, tossing my house keys to Roxanne, who stood a few feet away laughing to herself like a maniac. She caught them just in time, walking to the elevator.

She turns backwards and faces me, belting out the song again. Her voice stretches out in the same horrible scratchy and cracking voice even after the elevator doors close.

I laugh at her, turning back to the concierge and apologizing for the noise we made.

Ten minutes later the elevator doors open on my floor as I walk towards my door.

"Aerosmith, huh?"

My heart skips a beat and I turn around at the sudden voice, breathing out when I see it's Cullen. He's leaning against his doorframe, looking like he returned from a photoshoot with artfully messy hair and clothes that define his lean body.