Chapter 6

Peter felt how he was slowly coming to his senses. But his eyelids were so heavy he just couldn't open them, so he just lay there enjoying his mind relaxed, light, and empty. He hadn't felt that feeling in a long time. But he couldn't even enjoy it for long. In a few moments, when he was fully awake, he began to remember what had happened. He saw Beck's face. Pepper's car accident. Liz's death. And then... his sister's face. Sister, he had no idea he had for so many years. But apparently, no one but Mary knew that.

He thought slowly about what he should do. It was clear to him that this was just the beginning, and in fact, he was quite surprised that she let them go so easily. What was it all for? He didn't remember much about what was going on in the lab, and as he tried to recall something, anything, his head ached. And so he stopped trying. He hoped that when the time came, he would remember everything important. But he knew he couldn't just leave this be. He has to solve it somehow. The problem was that his parents would probably not let him out of the house at all now, which slightly complicated the situation.

Parents... He felt tears sting in his eyes. He only had a dad now, because his mother was no longer with him. He first lost his biological mother, and now his beloved Pepper. He had no idea how he would come to terms with it. Just as he sniffed aloud and the first tears slipped from behind his eyelids, a gasp came to his ears. He stopped. He could smell a faint whiff of women's perfume, flowers, and the scent of home, so familiar... that it woke him up. He sat up abruptly, his eyes wide, and it immediately darkened before his eyes.

"Peter, calm down! You're home, you're fine..." a beloved voice whispered to him. Peter's heart was pounding. He wasn't sure if he was really awake or not... but if he wasn't, he'd better never wake up again.

He opened his eyes slowly. A pale face studded with small freckles, strawberry-blonde hair framing a torn face, a shudder of eagerness and hope in green eyes...

"Mommy?" Peter whispered in disbelief, and then Pepper hugged him tightly. And he felt her fast-pounding heart on his chest, and suddenly he knew Dad wasn't lying. That Mom was really okay. The accident was probably another of Beck's tricks. Of course, it made sense. They wanted to hurt him, they wanted to destroy him. But they didn't succeed.

As Pepper rocked him like a small child and whispered encouraging words to him, he stopped crying. A terrible thought occurred to him. What if Pepper's alleged death was not the only illusion? What if his supposed sister didn't really exist, and he created it just to confuse Peter even more and lead him astray? It had to be that way. Or not? The uncertainty was killing him.

"Welcome back, kiddo," grinned Tony, whom Peter had never heard come, and hugged his son as well. Pepper sat on his bed, holding his hand tightly, as if afraid he might disappear again. "How are you feeling?"

"I think I am fine," Peter replied, looking thoughtfully at the opposite wall. "Is everyone okay?"

Tony nodded emphatically. "You can say they are. And I have to greet you from Steve, too. He is looking forward to seeing you."

Peter beamed and Pepper began to smile broadly. Seeing her baby boy happy and healthy was all she wanted. They'll be fine again. "Steve? Is he really here? Have you reconciled?"

"Just because of you, buddy," Tony chuckled. "It was almost like old times again. I'd rather save someone other than you next time."

Peter frowned for a moment. "Dad, Beck is alive."

"Mhmm," Tony growled. "Actually, he's not anymore. And this time he really is dead. I think he's finally paid from who he got involved with. I wish we knew who it was, too." Peter's stomach heaved. Beck is dead. That means his sister could be real. He wasn't sure if he wanted it to be true or not. "Natasha found him, someone must have shot him. I'm guessing it was one of his superiors. Ross wouldn't lower himself to something like that. At least I think so. Guessing people is quite a nut. You think you know someone, and yet... But it doesn't matter. Someone killed him and that someone probably killed Ross too. Probably both of them interfered in the plans. Or they just didn't need them anymore."

A chill ran down Peter's back. The idea of someone killing innocent people in such cold blood, without any remorse... But Beck wasn't so innocent. What about Secretary Ross? The situation was probably really serious, and Peter was worried that his sister might be behind their deaths. But he will only be able to come to some conclusions when he is alone in his room.

"Peter, I know you're exhausted, and we probably shouldn't talk about it unless you're ready," Tony began slowly, and Pepper frowned at him, "but we need some information. Anything you've noticed or heard. The villains are gone and I'm afraid they'll be back. But this time we will prepare for them. And we need your help to do that." He put his hand on his son's shoulder.

"Couldn't it wait yet? Peter should eat and he definitely wants to say hello to the others. Everyone will be thrilled to find out you woke up," she said with a smile.

Tony sighed resignedly. "All right, let's go eat. With full stomachs, we think better. And at least the rest of the team will arrive. We must now put together everything we know and think about what we do next. But you won't get involved," Tony warned him.

"Don't worry, I really don't want to do that anymore," Peter muttered, and it was actually true. In part. He didn't want to work with the team anymore. He had to work this out on his own. Because if it was his sister...

He won't let them kill her.