Chapter 52

When Loki saw Pepper in such a state, he stopped in place and his heart skipped a beat. He hated having to see her like that. Terrified, full of anxiety and worry. He immediately felt a rush of anger at the person who had caused her this. She was so happy yesterday. Who dared to step on her happiness?

"Pepper?" He addressed her softly, and a small wrinkle jumped between his eyebrows. As soon as she fell around his neck and buried her face in his chest, he didn't even protest. He just hugged her slowly and nodded thankfully at Michelle, who looked relieved and indicated she would go. "What happened? Do you want to talk about it?" he whispered.

"I... I don't know," she muttered in response. "It's... I don't know what to do," she sobbed.

"Calm down," he reassured her. "I'm here."

He felt her fingers clench into his shoulder as if she really wanted to make sure he was here. "Why can't we be happy? Longer than a few minutes? Do I want so much?" she exhaled, and he tightened his grip on her.

Her shoulders trembled and he hated himself for not being able to calm her down. He hoped that being here and holding her would be enough, to begin with. He didn't answer her question, waiting to see if she would continue talking.

"Peter was kidnapped again yesterday," she told him after a moment. Loki froze. But apparently, the kidnappers weren't lucky this time, since Peter was here. "I might have moved on if nothing happened to him and he came back. But what I can't move about is finding out who kidnapped him. Peter has a sister. The sister who wants to kill him, would you believe it?" In fact, Loki believed it. They didn't go to such an extreme with Thor, but their sister Hela wasn't so merciful. So when Peter and his sister were growing up separated, it was probably no wonder... But he didn't say anything out loud. Somehow he felt it wouldn't be right. "I... I don't understand. He is her brother, how can she just even think that she would take his life? She hurt him, and Peter doesn't resent her. On the one hand, I understand, but at the same time..." she sighed loudly. "I don't know what to do, Loki. How do I deal with all this? Why does it all have to be so complicated? Why did Mary... have such happiness... and she didn't even care about it and respect it?" Pepper knew that if Teresa lived with them, this would never have happened. She would love her as much as Peter. She would protect her.

"Life is unfair," Loki said after a moment, working on everything she told him. He understood that it had upset her. "But misfortune will not hold you forever. Trust me, Pepper. You will be happy," he promised her. He himself will do everything to see her cheerful and content again.

She raised her head and smiled sadly at him. Then she took his hand and squeezed it. "Thank you, Loki," she whispered.

•••

Peter preferred to go to his room. He didn't want to argue with his dad. He wanted peace. He didn't want to talk to anyone. He hoped that if he closed the door, everyone would let him be alone. But there shouldn't be a god of mischief with them who always did what he wanted. So he suddenly appeared in Peter's room, holding a pack of cookies in his hand.

"What are you doing here?" Peter asked, frowning slightly. Other times he would have liked to see the Prince of Asgard, but today it was an exception. If he also beats into his head that Teresa deserves to die.

"I originally wanted to go to the streets to kill people, but in the end, I decided to kill hunger," he told him quite seriously, handing him the cookies. "But I don't eat this myself, so I'm looking for someone to help me."

"You don't have to pretend, it's clear to me that you already know. I think everyone knows at this point," Peter growled, but he took the biscuits and bit into one. Loki picked one too and sat down next to him, so for a moment only a satisfying crunch echoed through the room.

"Relationships with siblings can be complicated," Loki said after a moment. "Just look at me and Thor. But I also had a sister."

"You had," Peter pointed at the last part.

"Well yes. Darling Hela was a very unexpected surprise. She tried to kill us to get to the Asgard throne. I'd like to say she's resting in Valhalla now, where she would meet her father," he grinned, "but that's not true. He's back in his kingdom, Helheim."

"Where is this conversation going?"

"I have no idea," Loki growled unhappily, taking the biscuit for encouragement. "I guess I just want to tell you that I know it's not easy. Finding out that you have a sister who wants to kill you. The difference between the two of us is that you care about her. I understand you don't want to kill her. But your parents see it differently. They're worried about you."

"I don't want them to hurt her. But I have no idea how to tell them, how to arrange it. Because my dad doesn't listen to me," he complained.

"Try waiting for him to cool down a bit. And then discuss it, along with Pepper. She will definitely listen to you and she will be able to guide your dad," Loki said, shrugging a little. He wasn't sure if it was the right option, he wasn't good at giving advice. But he wanted Peter to understand that there were people who understood him.

"I guess you're right," Peter agreed. "Thanks," he said with a small smile.

Loki looked away. He was not used to such frequent thanks, nor was he used to giving them all such a counselor or psychologist... He only experienced the way they treated him with Frigga. There were really few people who liked to spend time with him. But their numbers were slowly increasing.

So that was it like. To have a family.

•••

Although Tony was really looking forward to his honeymoon - because the idea of spending a few days with Pepper alone was just wonderful - he now wanted to cancel everything. He hadn't done it yet, because Natasha stopped him and began to excuse him. He didn't talk to Pepper about it - though Tony knew she would have the same attitude as he did. They deserve time for themself. They need to rest. But how could they leave Peter here, now, after all this?

"How many times do I have to tell you?" She growled a little annoyed. "Do you think we can't keep an eye on him?"

He didn't think that, but he would feel more confident if he had him under his supervision. But all the Avengers will be here. Bruce, Nat, Steve, Sam, Loki, Bucky, Rhodey... keep an eye on him. And they are superheroes. Teresa wouldn't stand against them if she came for him again. Natasha wouldn't let her take Peter.

"I'll talk to Pepper about it," he finally agreed.

"Great idea," she patted him on the back. "I'll talk to her too."

Tony sighed. He really didn't like it. He glanced uncertainly at Bucky, who was sitting nearby, frowning out the window. And Tony suddenly found his legs moving and leading him to Barnes.

"I guess I should thank you for saving my son," he began cautiously.

"Technically, I didn't have to--"

"Stop it," he interrupted impatiently. "Just thanks for bringing him back. I know you said Winter Soldier was gone, but if we leave and Peter stays here-"

"Then we'll keep an eye on him," Bucky promised. "Winter Soldier is gone, but my abilities aren't. We'll protect him, don't worry." James promised himself that he would not lose sight of Peter. He deprived Tony of his parents. He can't let him lose his son.

Tony nodded gratefully and placed his hand briefly on his right shoulder. "Watch him for me," he said before walking away.