Chapter 44

Peter didn't know what to think about this. The two slowly moved away from the wedding venue, and he was surprised by the slow pace. As if his sister wanted someone to see them and catch them.

He was walking beside her, and although he had been frightened a moment ago, he was now completely calm. He read somewhere that people would get a special peace before they died. Was that it? Was it a similar case? Was he just... reconciled? Rather me than them, he thought, feeling a shudder of love at the thought of all he had left behind. Rather me than mom and dad, Michelle, Nat with Bruce, Rhodey, Loki, Bucky, Steve...

As if hearing his thoughts, she turned her head to him and smiled. "You are naive if you think I will leave them alone after your death. Really, Petey, you let me down a little," she sighed, looking sad. "I didn't expect this from you. Do you realize what you did with this cowardly decision? You're leaving Pepper and Tony here, broken, destroyed..."

"You're a coward," Peter gritted his teeth, quickly dismissing the idea of unhappy parents. "Because if you weren't, you'd come in front of everyone. You'd stand up to them."

She laughed coldly. "Why would I do that? They will come to me of their own. And they can only hope that there is a God who has mercy. Because I won't have it," she growled, a flash of hatred in her eyes.

"You're a crazy psychopath," Peter told her.

She raised an eyebrow. "That's not nice. I prefer the word creative. Wow, you picked a really beautiful, magical place to get married," she suddenly changed the subject, and Peter blinked in surprise. This girl was like April weather. Unpredictable. And because she was human, she was dangerous, of course. She paused for a moment, enjoying the view that was in the palm of her hand. She put her hands in her pockets and stared at the sky with a smile. "Wonderful weather." Peter finally had a good look at her. Like him, she had brown, slightly curly hair. When he looked at her like that in profile, he felt an unpleasant chill on the back of his neck, because she was so similar to Mary. There really could be no doubt now that he was standing next to his sister.

Next to his sister, whom instead of hugging him and compensating him for all the years they were torn apart, she is going to kill him. And he still wasn't sure why. Was it just out of principle? Because of Mary? Didn't she see that their biological mother was a monster?

"Do you also think it's a shame?" She turned to him and tilted her head to the side, like a curious puppy. Peter found this crazy and unbelievable. What's she waiting for, why doesn't she just end it? Her mood swings forced him to stay alert. She conversed with him as if nothing had happened, as if they were normal siblings, but she was just waiting for the right moment to end it. He was at her mercy. "What would it be like if our mother was a normal, not a bloodthirsty bitch incapable of maternal love? Of course, it would be different. Maybe we would have much more in common. But look at me and look at yourself. How different we are. You became a naive, loving fool because you had the right family background around you. You may not have had a mom, but you had a Pepper. I had neither a mother nor a father. I do not want to complain. Maybe it was better than playing a happy, fake family," she grinned. "Waking up in a little girl who has a distorted idea of the world and certain ideals, resentment, is not good. To make her think that in this world she will be left alone, dependent only on herself and that her mother does not love her... it will mark you. Destroyed people are always dangerous because they have nothing to lose. They've been through hell and they know how to make it home."

Peter listened intently. It may have sounded crazy, but he was still trying to... understand. There was a long-standing resentment in her voice. Resentment to the world, to oneself. And Peter realized he was sorry for her. If he knew he had a sister... he would want to save her. He didn't want her to stay with Mary. She created the young woman standing in front of him and made her a monster like herself. But now it was too late for a change.

When he still said nothing, she looked at him and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Then she spread her arms and laughed. "See, little brother, this is me. You don't have to introduce yourself to me. Even when we hadn't even met each other, I already knew you perfectly. I knew you weren't like me. That you are weak. I could crush you like a cockroach, destroy you, tear you apart if I wanted to... with one click."

"Then why don't you do it?" he asked her quietly. "What are you waiting for? You want to do this for a long time."

"Yes, it's weird, isn't it?" she said in a conversational tone, listening for a moment to a melodic bird song. "Why don't I do it? Maybe it's too easy. And I like challenges. You pose no danger to me. And not just because you were so willing to give up on me. If I gave you a loaded pistol, you wouldn't kill me. Do you know how I know? Because I'm your sister. And even though you know very well that I am a monster, despite it, somewhere deep inside," she whispered, taking a few steps forward so she could stab her index finger into his chest, right into his heart, "you love me. See, Petey, how do human feelings limit us? You know I'm a threat, a danger to everyone you love, and yet you won't stop me."

He looked into her face. Into a pretty, smiling face that could have been beautiful if it hadn't been so disgraced. He lifted the left corner of his lips into a smile and was surprised at where the words and calm came from. "You're wrong about that. Yes, I wouldn't kill you, but just because I don't want to kill you doesn't mean I won't fight. I will fight. You know that, even if you tell me otherwise. You know me, don't you?"

She laughed. "Will you fight, even though you know I will win? You didn't stand a chance against me, brother." She ran her hand through his hair and ruffled it. His eyes widened. "So you're ready for another fight, right?"

He straightened, determination in his eyes. "For the next fight... no. It's still the same fight we've been in for years." He smiled slowly at her. "It's just the enemy who has changed."