Chapter 13

Pepper stared absently at the computer screen, not even trying to pretend to answer the emails she had open there. Today they sent Peter back to school and she has been nervous since morning. She would have preferred if he stayed at home to the end of the year, but she knew that was not possible. She probably stretched it more than was necessary. She could be glad that Tony had agreed to leave him at home on Monday and Tuesday.

"Wow, if you get paid for this, where can I apply for a job?" the incoming redhead asked her.

Pepper jumped in fright. "Natasha," she said in surprise, not expecting her. "Is Peter all right?" she asked anxiously, and was about to get up, but Natasha motioned for her to stay seated.

"I'm not here because of Peter," she assured her. "I thought I could go back to work."

"Seriously? Do you really want to do it?" Pepper asked, not thinking for a moment about her return. Natasha was an Avenger. She wasn't any better at paperwork than Tony.

"I admit it's boring most of the time, but your presence makes it a lot better," she sighed and sat down in a chair across from her. "Listen, I was lying about something. I don't mind this life and work when it comes to secrecy, which will sooner or later end. I thought I could live a normal life with Bruce, but I was wrong. But I still want to give it a chance. Maybe we could only agree on a few days a week? I would train with the team for the rest of the time."

"Nat, I'm not pushing you into anything. If you don't want to do it, don't do it," she said softly with a small smile on her face. She was glad she and Bruce kept trying, but she still wasn't sure this was the path the redhead should take.

"No, I think that's how it might work, you know? I'm confused about all this, but somehow I already know that I must not suppress any of my selves. I want to be with Bruce, but at the same time, I want to be myself. Now I know that and I'm making sure it stays that way," she told her, staring at the table. It was hard for her - if she had to look into her eyes, she wouldn't be able to say it.

"Well, if you're sure, I'll be happy to take you back," Pepper told her of her verdict, feeling proud. It wasn't often that Natasha talked openly about something, but when she did, Pepper was proud of her. It was a small step, but it was definitely progress.

Natasha finally gave her a look and even a grateful smile. "There's one more thing I wanted to ask you. Is your offer to move into your penthouse still valid?"

"Sure," she said, a little startled. "I mean, I have to say you surprised me with your question. I'll miss you."

"Don't worry, we'll still see each other practically every day. We'll just finally stop occupying your home. It's time to start creating our own," she said a little quieter. Today she didn't want to talk about feelings anymore.

"When do you want to move?"

"We don't know yet, but we want to be settled by Christmas," she replied, smiling. She couldn't believe it was really happening. And this time nothing will stop them. She'll take care of it.

"So soon? But I understand, and I hope it works out now. And if you change your mind, please don't damage my apartment anymore," she teased her, and Natasha rolled her eyes at it.

•••

"Do you have déjà vu like me?" Tony asked with an uneasy feeling in his stomach as they entered the Avenger's headquarters. He wanted to postpone the conversation for as long as he could, but Rhodey would have to return to Washington tomorrow, and he wanted to have him present when he told Steve about the current situation.

Rhodey laughed and patted Tony on the back. "I admit that it brings bad memories, but I believe that this time it will turn out better. Everyone just has to keep their heads calm, not like last time."

"I always have a calm head," Tony grinned and headed straight for the kitchen to make coffee. "Friday, honey, tell Steve we're here."

"As you wish, sir."

"Tony, honey, make me some coffee, too," Rhodey imitated, hoping to relax the atmosphere a little. The truth was that he had little concern that the recent peace would become just a mere memory.

"As you wish, honey," he chuckled, handing him a mug of black coffee.

It was at that moment that Steve entered the kitchen and looked a little confused. He must have heard Tony's words and expected Pepper. "Hi," he said awkwardly, receiving a cup of coffee from Tony, which he didn't care much about. He noticed that a mug of Tony's favorite drink was holding also Rhodey, and frowned a little. He knew that making coffee soothed Tony, which raised the question, what was making him nervous?

"Steve! Nice to see you," Tony greeted him with exaggerated joy.

"Do I want to even know?" he muttered to Rhodey, who shook his head amusedly and shook his hand in greeting.

"Shall we sit down? We should sit down," Tony decided for everyone and sat down at the table.

"So something happened?" Steve asked cautiously as he and Rhodey sat down as well.

Tony drank his coffee and tried quickly to figure out a way to tell Steve without getting anyone upset. "As you know, Thaddeus Ross is dead, so someone had to replace him in his post, and that someone is Everett Ross. Don't worry, the two aren't related, it's just a coincidence. Surely you remember Everett, we had the honor with him when we signed the Sokovia Accords," he began cautiously, waiting for his reaction.

Steve just nodded. He already understood Tony's mood. He didn't want to talk about it himself or even remember it. Especially not now that they've reconciled.

"Everett wants to pardon you," Rhodey said.

"I guess it has a catch," Steve snorted. After all, he wasn't that naive.

Tony exchanged glances with Rhodey, hoping he would continue, but one exchange of glances was enough for him to know it would be up to him. "He wants you to sign it," he sighed defeated. "Listen, I know you're against it, but at the moment it's our only choice. He is our chance to return to how it used to be. He will try to cancel the contract, but it is still valid, so if he pardons you, you will have to sign..."

"Tony, you know I can't," Steve said a little regretfully. "I haven't changed my mind."

"He wants to talk to you. At least listen to him. I still don't know if we can trust him, but I think he really means it."

Steve paused. He didn't want to sign it. Life on the run was worthless, but Natasha was right. Eventually one gets used to it. He has nothing else to do. If he signed it now, all the time they spent in exile would be useless. It would all be completely useless.

"What do you think of that?" he asked, staring at Rhodey.

"As Tony said, we're not sure they won't trip us up, but I personally feel good about it. It could be our only chance, so we should take it."

"Alright then. One meeting. That's all I can promise," he agreed and took a good sip of black coffee.