Chapter 37

"By the way, I invited Bucky to the wedding," Tony said casually as they arrived home.

"Seriously? That's great, Dad!" exclaimed Peter surprised, as he appeared at the door as soon as they entered because he hear them coming thanks to his improved hearing. A few seconds later, a brown-haired girl appeared behind him.

"Let's not talk about it," Tony muttered. After all, they had much nicer topics to talk about.

"Michelle, nice to see you," Pepper greeted the brunette, embracing her. "Did you order dinner?" she asked Peter as she released his girlfriend.

"Sure, we were just waiting for you. I'm personally starving, so I suggest we go eat," he replied, heading straight for the kitchen.

Tony just laughed and followed him while Pepper and Michelle stood in the hallway. They stood there in silence for a moment. Pepper wanted to ask if her parents really didn't mind that she was going with them, but Peter asked them not to ask about her family, and she didn't want to break her promise. Her son's request startled her, and she began to worry about the girl, but she knew she had no right to interfere. So she just smiled warmly at her and waited for her to tell her what was on her mind.

"Are you sure I won't bother you? I could easily come to the ceremony like everyone else," Michelle said, at last, a little nervously. She had grown accustomed to the warmth of the Starks in the months she'd dated Peter, but her uncertainty hadn't completely disappeared. At times, she still felt difficulty. She was worried that she was a bother for them.

"Of course not! We are glad that you will come with us," she assured her with a smile. "But I won't let you sleep on the couch today. I have prepared a guest room for you," she told her in a slightly authoritative voice to indicate that there was no room for objection.

MJ smiled weakly and felt her typical self-confidence return. "I know you'll have a professional photographer, but I wanted to repay you for the beautiful dress you didn't let me pay, so I packed my analog camera with me. I don't have that many movies and it's an incredibly lengthy and demanding process, but I promise the result will be worth it. It has its charm," she told her of her plan. Personally, she couldn't wait for the final photos. She hoped they would be good and the pair will like them. "You can take it as my wedding gift," she added because by having a break with Peter until recently, she didn't know if she was going to the wedding at all, she had completely forgotten that she should give them anything. That's why the photos had to work for her. She was sure they wouldn't mind if she didn't give them anything, but the truth was that she wanted to give them something. She cared about them.

"Wow, Michelle, that's nice of you. I don't know photography at all, but I'm looking forward to looking at those photos and remembering the whole day. Now let's go, or Peter eats all of the food," she urged her, after which they went to the kitchen together.

"I hope you've packed. We'll be leaving very early in the morning," Tony said as they entered the kitchen. The food was already on the plates, and Peter had his mouth full while Tony waited for them.

"I'd better check it out for you, shouldn't I?" Pepper smiled as Peter, who was busy eating, just nodded.

"Mom!" he moaned with his mouth full, his cheeks turning red.

"I looked after him," Michelle assured them both, not holding back a laugh.

"We are so lucky to have you," Tony grinned.

Michelle looked around. And she had to smile at the people sitting at the table with her. She didn't remember a time when her family was happy, but it didn't matter. Now her family was Peter. She loved him and was happy with him. She even allowed herself to think that his family was a bit her family too.

•••

Natasha peered into the living room, and when she was sure Bruce was reading on the couch, she sat down at the table and opened her laptop. She's had a job all the time for the last few days, so she hasn't even had a chance to think about the conversation she'd recently had with Pepper. It happened so fast that she didn't even remember it for a few hours. But as soon as she realized what important role she would play in their wedding, she panicked slightly. Then she calmed down immediately. What could go wrong? I'll just be there, it will be fine. I couldn't really get an easier job. She thought. But immediately her thoughts changed again and she became insecure again. So she preferred to immerse herself in work and training with Bucky. But now that she had packed their things, she realized that she didn't even know what such a maid of honor was doing.

"Perhaps you are not working?" exclaimed Bruce, surprised as he appeared in the kitchen.

Natasha was a little taken aback, and she quickly closed the laptop so he couldn't see what she was looking at. "Of course not. That's why I have you. But don't work on anything today, please. Early tomorrow we have to pick up Peter and Michelle and head to Blue Hill. Pepper and Tony will pick up Tommy, and then the suits and dresses," she told him, but Bruce listened only half-heartedly.

"What were you doing?" he asked curiously, sitting down in a chair next to her.

"It's nothing," she said casually, waving her hand.

Bruce looked at her. "Nat," he sighed.

"I was just looking for something about the wedding," she said a little reluctantly. That must have been enough for him. She certainly wasn't going to tell him that she had to look on the Internet for what such a maid of honor actually did. That was too embarrassing.

"You're nervous!" he remarked with a small smile that made it clear how much he enjoyed it.

"Certainly not," the redhead protested.

"Do you think we'll have our own wedding someday?" he whispered. He knew it was a useless question. He never threw himself into marriage and would put his hand on the fire for the fact that Natasha also did not want to get married twice.

His question surprised her. She remembered Alexi involuntarily. She didn't remember their wedding very much and she was quite grateful for that. If she could, she would erase Alexi from her memories.

"Would you like to?" she asked. She had never thought about it, but now that he had asked, she had to imagine, and it didn't sound bad at all. It's been really good for them for the last few months.

"Maybe," he replied indecisively.

"I never wanted to tell you, but speaking of which, you should probably know. When I finished training in the Red Room, they corrected my memories and sent me to live the life of a Russian prima ballerina. Before I became Black Widow, I was married," she confided in him, surprising not only Bruce but also herself.

"Really?" the scientist blurted out. He didn't know if he was more shocked that she was talking about her past, or that she was married. Natasha was married. His Natasha.

"Unfortunately. It wasn't real. They planned it in the KGB so they could recruit me. I'm actually a real widow," she explained marginally. "But our marriage would be real. Once we both come to the conclusion that this is what we really want."

"Did I tell you I really adore you?" he asked with a loving smile. He decided to focus on thinking about their marriage and not that she had been married once.

"Not for a long time, actually," Nat complained, then leaned over to kiss him.