Chapter 8

Noel POV

I woke up the next morning with a bad headache. I looked at the clock, and it said 12. Beside the clock was a glass of water and a bottle of aspirin. Alex or Josh must've come back and put it there. I took the pill and looked at myself in the mirror. I didn't have on the dress, and I was confused. I smelled food, but also still smelled like alcohol, so I took a shower.

I got out, brushed my teeth, and went downstairs. I got to the kitchen and I was surprised.

"Carter?" She turned around and gave me a small smile.

"Sit down, here, I've made you some food." I looked at her confused. Then everything came back from last night, when I saw her without glasses and her nose had a bandage on it.

"Carter, I'm sorry about last night." She put the plate down in front of me. It had pancakes, sausage, eggs, and bacon.

"Eat. We'll talk later." She looked away from me after she'd said it. I know she was disappointed in me. "Did you take the aspirin?" She asked.

"Yeah. Thank you for that, this, and last night." She shrugged.

"I don't mind." Short answers, small fake smiles. She's not even nervous anymore, she's not stuttering. She always smiles widely at me. I sighed and ate. Her phone rang, and she looked at it, then at me.

"Keep eating." She walked into the living room and I heard her talking, because the living room and kitchen had no separation. I really don't know why she went over there, but oh well.

"No, I'm sorry. I've gotten caught up with something else." She rubbed the back of her neck. "Uhh, tell him I'll be there either later today, or tomorrow. Yeah, I will come, I just can't now, Kale I'm busy. No, I didn't know. But you said tonight, not today." She said frustrated. "No I'm not with Amy, and you know that's not true! You are both my best friends, I'm not ditching you for her... I can't have this conversation with you right now, you're being irrational. Well you keep having girlfriends, me and Amy are always single and usually hate your girlfriends." She waited for his reply, and it seemed long. Then her face darkened and she shook her head. "I thought I asked you not to talk about that. I can't believe y- No, I-I gotta go." She said and hung up with a frustrated sigh. I'd eaten enough and I walked over to her.

"What's wrong?" I put my hand on her shoulder, and she turned around and smiled sadly, but was still looking up over my head.

"I-It's nothing. Kale and I got into an argument. Are you done eating?" I pulled her face down to look at me.

"Yeah, don't worry about me, I'm worried about you." She looked me in my eye and smiled a real smile, then stared for a while, before shaking her head and closing her eyes.

"He thinks I'm ditching him for Amy all the time. I was supposed to go over there. I- I don't want to talk about what he said."

"I'm sorry that you're over here and not there." She opened one eye and laughed.

"I woke up early, as always. If I didn't want to be here, I could've left. I wanted you to feel better because you were wasted last night. If you're done eating... We need to talk, as much as I don't want to." I pulled her to the couch to sit down.

"Who's talking first?" She looked at me nervously. "Okay, what's gonna happen?" She sighed and I knew it was going to be bad.

"I don't think this is the best thing to do. Us. It can't work, we'll both end up in trouble. I don't want to jeopardize my high school record, and I don't want you to be in jail, or get in trouble. You know how important it is for me to finish and go to college. I have to do that for my mom, she deserves it. I care about you, God knows how much I do. I just d-don't l-like you." She said with her eyes closed. "If we were to be together we'd have to sneak around. I couldn't tell my friends, and I wouldn't be able to take you out. You don't deserve that. You should find someone your age, so you can have more fun. All of this was because, I was just caught up because I haven't been with anyone and you interested me. I'm not interested anymore and I have no feelings for you. It's for the best, Ms. Stewart." She said never looking at me and getting up to leave. I got up angrily and pulled her back.