Chapter 9

Carter POV (This is after she left Noel's house the first time, before the accident)

I'm at Kale's house, getting dressed.

"Dad wants us to match. You know you're like his second son. He's gotten us twins." I groaned as he threw me a white button up shirt and a plaid tie with khaki's. Then he threw a navy Ralph Lauren sweater vest.

"Kale... the truth is I-I was at a girl's house last night. I didn't do anything with her, but I like her."

"Bro! Really, why didn't you tell me?" I sighed.

"Well, I told her we wouldn't work. I just can't be with her." He put his hand on my shoulder.

"That sucks, if you like her, why say no?"

"It's complicated. I don't think I'm ready anyway, I still have issues from last time.."

"She was horrible. I'm sure this girl is nothing like her. I'm sure you can see that if you like her." I smiled at him. "Again, I'm really sorry for bringing her name up this morning... I'm sorry for what I said, it just slipped out." I shook my head.

"I can't just forget about her forever. It happened. I need to face the truth. You're right, she is nothing like Jessica. I just can't be with her." That's the first time I've said her name since it happened, and Kale looked at me with his eyes wide.

"You said it... I-I mean you're right. I'm so proud of you, C. I really am. About your girlfriend-"

"She's not my girlfriend." He rolled his eyes.

"I can't tell Dad, it's too late. They're on their way. Try your hardest to get along with her, and Dad's told her you're a girl. Hopefully she's a brunette, for your sake." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, you don't want to be with your girlfriend, so find someone else. By the way, who is she?" I shook my head at how bad that sounded.

"That's the problem... You can't meet her." He looked at me confused.

"Why not?.. Dude is she not real?" I shook my head.

"She's real! I swear... If we're not going to be together, what's the point? You've seen her before... She goes to the school and she knows who you are, but I can't show you a picture or anything." He looked at me skeptically.

"Why would I lie about this?" He thought about it and shrugged.

"You've always been a really good liar. I can't ever tell when you're telling the truth." I laughed.

"I'm not lying. I swear." I said looking him in his eye.

"Okay, I believe you. I-"

"Kale! Are you two almost done?" Our eyes widened as I hurried and changed. I'm not stripping or anything like that, so it's okay. We went downstairs and Dad, Kale's Dad, was waiting for us.

"Carter! I haven't seen you in so long. Come here, give your old man a hug." He said. I laughed and went over to him and hugged him.

"Hello Dad. How have you been?"

"I've been fine. How about you? And your mother?" He asked.

"We've been good. Don't worry I'll tell you when there's trouble or we need help." He laughed.

"That's my boy."

"Dad, Carter is actually dating a girl." His eyes widened.

"What? Is this true?" He asked smiling. I shook my head.

"No, but I don't really want to flirt with girls today.. The girl Kale's talking about... I told her we can't be together, but I do like her. I just don't want to have to do that today."