Chapter 4

Dean's POV

I don't know what I had been thinking, inviting Clara to stay with me and Sam like that. We would be working on our case, and we couldn't exactly do that around Clara.

We could just tell her what we do, but it just seemed like she had been having too bad of a day to make it any worse.

Avoiding working around her would be a lot easier than telling Sam what I had just done, though.

I slowly walked back over to Sam.

"So... Sammy, we may have a little problem."

Sam raised his eyebrows a little.

"Dude, if you need me to stay out of the motel for the night, it's okay."

"It's not exactly that simple."

"Seems simple to me."

I glanced at Clara. She was watching us.

"Sammy, I kind of invited Clara to stay with us until she could get a ride home."

Sam stared at me in silence. Then he also glanced over at Clara.

"Dean."

"Sam."

Sam put his elbows on the table, placed his head in his hands, and sighed.

"Dean," Sam mumbled into his hands. "How are we going to work this job with some girl living with us?"

"We can figure that out," I said quietly. I knew that Clara was still looking at us, and I didn't want her to hear. "I just don't want to leave her out to live in the streets, Sammy."

Sam sighed again and I sat down in the seat across from him.

"We can find a library or something." I still spoke quietly. "I'm sure she won't be much trouble."

"Fine." Sam rolled his eyes. "Just tell her to get her stuff and we can go ahead and go back to the motel. We can tell her that we are using a motel because we are here on an FBI job. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't trust us as much as she does right now if we told her the truth."

The truth.

What the truth was beyond me. Our lives were basically a giant train wreck. Almost everyone we were ever "friends" with was dead, we don't have an actual home, and we hunt monsters for a living.

The truth is a luxury that we couldn't afford to have.