Chapter 6

Dean's POV

Clara seemed nervous for most of the ride. The ride was silent, but you could have cut the tension in the air with a butterknife.

"What kind of music do you like?" I awkwardly broke the silence.

"Classical, I suppose."

Sam started chuckling.

"What?" Clara seemed upset. "Is there something wrong with classical music?"

"No, not at all." He smiled. "I'm just betting that Dean can't even name one classical artist."

I could feel my cheeks growing pale.

"Um," I stuttered. "Well..."

Clara and Sam stared at me.

"Hey, look, no time for music anyways. We've reached the motel."

Clara's eyes widened.

"It isn't much, but we have to stay here for a while," I tried to reassure her. "We're a little far from home for this case we're working on."

Home.

We hadn't lived in a proper home since I was about four years old. Distant memories of my mother smiling as she sang to me popped in my head.

Mom.

Just how much our lives had changed from when we were children to when we grew up suddenly struck me.

I saw Clara mouthing something and realized I had totally zoned out. I tried to readjust to the present.

"Dean?" Clara repeated.

Sam waved a hand in my face and I slapped him.

"Stop it."

"Dean-" Sam started.

"No, Sammy, just drop it."

Sam looked worried, but I didn't plan on telling him what was going on any time soon. Especially in front of Clara.

I swung the door open and stepped out. Sam and Clara followed.

"So, Clara," Sam tried to converse. "Where are you from?"

"I'm from Blackpool, England."

Sam raised his eyebrows.

"So you aren't very used to things around here?"

"No."

I jam the key into the lock and open it slowly. I just then realized we only had two beds in the motel.

"Crap..." I mutter to myself.

"What?" Clara and Sam say in unison.

I open the door.

"Welcome to our two bedded motel room. Sam, you get to sleep on the floor."