Chapter 7

"Running 'til the rims fall
Had them niggas and the cops looking jigsaw
I done fucked around and turned into the big dog
Better get gone, get caught? Bitch, I think not
Yeah, new suit, new boots, same niggas like what?
Lukewarm-ass niggas always wanna talk
I'm hot, I'm heat to the core like Earth
Don't touch, don't go, niggas might get bucked"

Tyler, the Creator—"What's Good?"

Alexis walked out of the bedroom after two hours.

Diša sat on her couch next to Hollis as the young woman stepped into the living room.

"He's asleep," Alexis said.

"Yamilet will give you a ride home. Thank you for looking after him," Diša said.

She stood and gave Alexis a hug as Yamilet grabbed her purse and keys.

"I'll call you tomorrow," Yamilet said as Alexis trailed behind her down the steps to the front door.

Diša gave a heavy sigh and dropped back on the couch. The night was full of surprises and shocks.

"I think I would keep quiet too if that were my mother," Diša said.

She and Hollis had been in a deep conversation with Yamilet about Erik. They read summaries on their phones about Califia Stevens. Even found a picture of her with Erik when he was a little boy in Brazil at a political rally for his Aunt, the infamous Negra Lia. It was like finding out someone was the child of Assata Shakur, or Angela Davis, except those women were still alive and thriving. Erik's mother should've been doing the same. It must've been difficult to grow up the son of a maligned martyr. She knew he lost his parents, but he kept vague on the details. Diša assumed it was just the typical tragic stories of so many Black lives in tough areas. Erik spent more time talking up his grandfather and Uncle than anyone else.