Chapter 11

"Now that loves taken over me
What will I do now
Now that loves taken over you
Baby, I'll show you
How it feels to live in ecstasy
Ecstasy, ecstasy
Now that loves taken over
Too Bad for you
You can't free yourself from me
Don't bother to
You'll have to stay here forever"

Chante Moore—"Love's Taken Over"

His family brought out the best in him.

Disa observed Erik the entire night interacting with each individual relative. Love poured into him and out of him as he laughed, drank wine, sang songs, and play-fought on her living room floor. It was a raucous celebration that went on late into the night.

Erik's eyes were dark pink from the liquor and his affectionate ways had him hugging up on her at times she deemed inappropriate in front of his girlfriend. Chloe was enamored with his family and didn't seem to notice her man trailing after Disa. Perhaps it was because the entire family was openly loving. Especially Marisol. She hung off of Erik and held his hand most of the night. They were so close and hilarious together. Erik seemed annoyed with her after the first three hours in Disa's house and their interaction turned into almost sibling interactions as Marisol kept bringing him to Disa to get some agreement on something they argued about. Earlier it had been about clothes, then music. Now the young woman was dragging Erik over to prove that he was wrong about a hairstyle on a Pop singer.

Disa wasn't sure she could put her finger on the problem, but Marisol seemed intent on keeping Erik near Disa instead of Chloe.

Strolling into her kitchen on bare feet and tipsy energy, Disa poured herself a shot of Bourbon and gulped it down. Music filled the entire house, and once more Marisol dragged Erik her way.