Chapter 20

"Don't you forget your way home
For that little girl
Hold on to your world
And don't you forget it
Don't you forget your way home
For that little girl
Hold on to your world

Don't you be afraid cuz a heartbeat away
It's all that and everything
That send men and women to you
Don't need to cry, you can dry your eyes
Cuz you can count on the love that through the years
Captured fears you'll face, can subside your tears
Everything will be ok, don't you be afraid..."

Glenn Lewis— "Don't You Forget It"

Dante Stevens held onto Disa's hand as he guided her in traditional Chicago steppin' footwork. His light brown eyes shined with encouragement as she slid her feet across her mother's wood floor.

"There it go, there it go! You got it!" Dante hooted.

Her father, Ahmad, sat on a rocking chair and watched them dance to Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel".

"Get it Grandpop!" Erik shouted.

Disa giggled when she turned the wrong way, but she caught on quickly, allowing Dante to lead her.

"Get in here, boy. Take ya girl for a spin!"

Dante twirled her closer to Erik and her newly minted boyfriend grabbed a hold of her hand and led her with some arm work.

"See, he likes all that new school stuff. Old school is where it's at!" Dante teased.

Ahmad clapped his weak hands to the beat, and Dante stood near him, patting his shoulder. Two weeks in Los Angeles and the older men grew closer. There was a consensus among them that they were pleased with the union of her and Erik. Theresa, her mother, cooked fried pork chops and cheese broccoli in the kitchen. Muslim or not, she was going to feed Ahmad whatever came out of her kitchen, and her father was up for it despite his difficulty eating because of the lump in his throat.