Chapter 26

"We live from the head down and not the feet up
And I'm adorned with the crown that's making this up
And I'm fine under cloud 9

Yes I wear the lamb's wool, the feet of burned brass
And the wool defies gravity like the nature of a gas
And I'm fine under cloud 9

Twist my cloud and it rains
And when it rains it pours
And the energy will absorb
Power for the metaphysical one..."

Donnie – "Cloud 9"

Erik twisted his neck to pop the kinks out of the tension he held there. He rotated his wrists and shook out the jitters in his ankles and feet. Stretching his legs, he tried to focus his mind on his speed. His mother, Califia, had been swift with her hands and feet and he was fortunate to inherit her skills in that department. His father had been strong and strategic with ulwa and that gift enabled Erik to adapt it to capoeira.

The gymnasium was nearly full by the time he had his body conditioned the way he felt comfortable. Steady workouts with his naval training kept him on point. A few old head mestres eyed him from various corners of the room. His loose white abada pants had the colors of his Uncle Besouro's martial arts school name down one leg in bright yellow lettering. He decided to fight in a white tank top and strolled around the space barefoot with his current purple and green cord dangling against his thigh. His next level was to become an instructor and he would switch out his old cord for a solid purple one. There was chatter on the floor about his style of fighting. He mixed regional and Angola styles and Besouro praised him for ushering in a new contemporary style of fighting. Erik was aggressive with his moves, but he was also called elegant. Many traditionalists held onto the old ways, but like anything in the world, styles changed. The young brought in the new.