Chapter 24

"This may only be a dream
We come and we go
Like the ripples of a stream
So love me

Love me tonight
Tomorrow was made for some
Tomorrow may never come
For all we know"

Donny Hathaway – "For All We Know"

Disa watched Erik walk in the line of officers and her hand went to her throat. He looked spectacular in his uniform. It took her breath away to see him move with fixed strides alongside his peers. This was real. He was an officer. A real soldier. He would travel to Illinois while she traveled to California to set up house for them. The plan was for her to stay in the Airbnb studio apartment and find an affordable place in Coronado for them while she flooded the West Coast with resumes at the top universities there. She could take her time finding the right fit as opposed to rushing to grab anything. Disa stopped fussing about being frugal when Erik transferred thirty thousand dollars into her checking account without blinking an eye. She shut up about it real quick. He wanted a townhouse or a condo, not an apartment for them.

Erik would do the mini-BUDs training in Illinois, then fly out to San Diego for the actual BUDs training—Basic Underwater Demolition school—on the man-made island of Coronado. After that, if he made it through the grueling training and passed, he would go on to parachute Jump School and then SEAL qualification training. Sea. Air. Land. SEALs life.

She shuddered to think of him jumping out of planes and helicopters, placing bombs on submarines, and shooting at other men. His father had been a lieutenant in the Wakandan military and flew planes, so Disa could understand the old follow in your father's footsteps routine. But something didn't sit right with her about Erik wanting to serve a bully nation like the U.S. Going to Wakanda and training with his own people on the motherland made more sense to her. He could have dual citizenship and take advantage of reconnecting with his father's people that way. Erik stayed tight-lipped about that country. He said he didn't know that much about it except for what his father told him and he had stars in his eyes for his father. Joseph Stephens. Actually, N'Jobu Udaku. Disa stayed tight-lipped about asking him why a Prince of another nation would even want to fight for America. She decided it didn't matter at the moment. Erik was brilliant, had a career goal planned out, and loved the shit out of her mentally, physically, and spiritually. It's what she wanted in a man that she was head over heels for.