TWO - Return

Thomas POV

It's been a month since I got back. The pack expected Stiles back and I barely act like him, but they don't acknowledge how different I act. Instead, they wait for me to return to how I was before.

Noah hugged me the moment he saw me. Surprisingly, Melissa and him had been dating and she was there too. 

She gave me a hug. I tensed under both and patted their backs awkwardly. Noah ignored it, but Melissa noticed. She must have expected a reaction to her 'motherly warmth' or something, but I couldn't give the same reaction I had given before the maze. I was tense.

Noah. I want to call him pops in my head as well as out loud but I don't... see things like before. The Gladers are my family. Shuck, the Scorchers are my family. We are survivors, we became family.

Amelia, my Lia. I missed her so shucking bad. Correction, I need her. She kept the nightmares away. Not only that but from the time at the Safe Haven and even in the Scorch we were barely separated. Now, I can't help but have separation anxiety and PTSD flashback every now and then. None recently, but still. I need her.

I would be in gym when I helped her sleep, but she was busy taking care of all of the other Survivors when I was trying to sleep. She did reach out but it usually resulted in only a few hours of sleep with an occasional good nights rest. 

I knew she wasn't sure why she felt like she needed to help the Survivors, but I did. When she came up in box. She had been awake unlike Teresa and bolted for a knife the first second she could. She nearly took off my hand until I got her to calm down. Suddenly when she realized we weren't a threat, a switch flipped. She was kind and caring towards others and Chuck... 

Chuck was used to being looked down on as a kid and expected to act and work like an adult, but Lia was incredibly. She looked after him and treated him his age. She didn't baby him, but she did make check to see if he was okay.

Some said she had a sibling bond with him while Minho and I claimed that she was motherly with him. Minho even called her Mama Mia, just how Newt was Mama Noot. No matter what though... the woman I love is amazing. I remember the first time we separated when she was taken by WCKD after being "rescued" I was terrified and the second I realized that they could be bad. I needed to know what was up and if she was in danger. It was then realized I had definitely fallen for her.

She is the calm in the storm but has a built in switch that can easily make her stern, harsh, and even cold to those that she doesn't like or know.

Anyways, since I've gotten back, the nightmares have started. Newt's death repeats itself in the middle of the night or when I wake up. I'm also constantly aware of everything, constantly reaching for my gun in my waistband. 

I was allowed it protection since WCKD but it didn't ease my nerves at all. Plus, I was so worried about Lia.

Over the month, Noah was busy either as the sheriff or as Melissa's boyfriend. He would take her meals at the hospital and would sometimes go see Scott and the pack. I wasn't upset but rather glad. My weapons were hidden and I could be Thomas at home. No need to be Stiles.

Ugh.. Stiles. I can't get used to be called Stiles so when someone calls me, it takes me a second to realize. 

As for the pack, they haven't really payed much attention. They say I'm part of it but I just research it, but recently Deaton took over that role. I'm not needed. 

I make sure to hide the change as well. I dress like Stiles so the scars and muscles are covered. The flannels are large enough to cover it but it's noticeable the I'm not swimming in them anymore. Another thing is that Lydia is just Lydia. I realized as soon as I got back that I was projecting my admiration for her smarts and popularity as a crush.

Of course, I told all of this to Lia. She knew all about my past and agreed with me that Coach is the best person in Beacon Hills. 

Since it's been hard without her, she encouraged me one night to talk to someone I trust and can rely on. The day after I realized that he was the only one that asked me how I was and wanted to know what happened. And so I did.

I spent hours in his office after school telling him what happened. one day though, a picture on his desk took my attention.

"C-Coach" I stuttered as I reached out for the picture. 

He realized what I held and spoke fondly, "That's Toby, my nephew. He went missing some years ago and since you got back I've had hope he will come back. He's coming with that Amelia you seem to like. His parent's went on business trips and didn't really want a child so I practically raised him. Why? Hey Thomas, what's wrong?"

[Since I told him my past, he calls me by it. I'm grateful. He's probably the only person I feel comfortable with here in Beacon Hills.]

"His name was Chuck," I said quietly, tears escaping my eyes. I pulled my eyes away from the picture and put down. I clenched my hands, balling parts of my jeans in my hands. "He was a the youngest in the maze. He was l-like a little brother to me and Lia... Lia acted like a mother to him."

I paused, and began coughing. I needed to catch my breath to continue but the tears blurred my eyesight and continued to fall. I heard sobs try to escape Couch too. 

"I... I promised to get him out but-" I had to take a breath. My breathing was fast and rushing out the words. "H-He took a bullet that was meant for me. Lia tried to stop him or get him out of the way b-but the bullet went through her arm and hit him still."

I was balling and I looked at Coach and saw tears running down his face, his hand over his mouth. I got up and opened my arms as if asking if I could hug him. He didn't hesitate.

"I'm so, so sorry," I cried into his chest.

Coach simply shook his head. We stayed in the office and I told him some more things about Chuck. I ended with the story of the wooden toy and gave it to Coach. He was the closest thing to a parent and he proudly placed it by the picture.

"He sounds incredible, even in the maze," he spoke softly.

I ended that day's talk telling him that WCKD was no more. 

In the end, I would talk to Coach every now and then, he even helped me. 

He wanted me to play on the team even though it was more than halfway through the year and he let me change in the bathroom or in his office since I told him about the scars. I was even allowed to take naps every now and then in the locker room or his office during lunch.

Other than Coach, everything else is how I remember. 

I had come to realize that the changing had been fake, but the moment I looked around Beacon Hills, I got flashes of what happened here. Now, I'm not the same nor will I ever be, I'm here. I'm here and if I'm going to stay, I need Lia. I occasionally sleep from exhaustion but I don't know how much longer I can go like this. 

Please get here soon Lia, I need you.