FOURTEEN - the window

Sunlight streamed in through a window, a soft glow lighting up the silent room. The morning sun was just rising and the teens remained unmoving under the covers.

"Hmm," a sound escaped her throat as the female began to wake.

She opened her eyes to be faced with darkness. Angling her face up, she saw blurry the rays of light that entered the room. It takes a second for her vision to clear when it registers that something - no someone - was blocking it.

As her eyes focused she could see Thomas' chin and she realizes that her arms were around his waist.

She smiled as her head dropped onto something firm. His chest rose and fell in front of her and she knew that she was flushed against his chest, but lower than he was as his arms were wrapped around her head.

Gently lifting her arm off of him, she tried to move down and off the bed but his arms moved to her shoulders and tightened their hold.

A soft smile graced her lips at the action but she was awake and wanted to get up. None of that included waking up her sleeping boyfriend who looked so peaceful.

Amelia lifted one leg and moved the other slowly. Thomas wasn't a heavy sleeper but he luckily wasn't a light one either.

She was wearing some of his shorts that fell to her knees and she felt him move under the covers and froze.

Glancing up, she saw that he didn't woken up yet so she continued to move.

Finally getting out of his arms, she sat up and ran a hand over her hair, finding that a few strands had escaped her twin braids.

A snore left the body besides her and a soft smile graced Amelia's lips. The safe haven wasn't always busy, but it had become so in the recent months before their 'rescue' (even if the two loved it there). The pair hadn't spent much time alone in the morning or days during that time.

After waking, Thomas would be called to a gathering or to check their supplies. He would check on the island along with the few adults that remained and the keepers that 'ran' their sections. People volunteered for scouting or farming and other jobs to keep themselves busy. The better ones were looked up to if there was a problem that need their specialty and they adopted the unofficial title of keeper.

That's where Amelia was. If she wasn't with the young, she'd be with those who needed help watching over the larger groups. Many would try other tasks and teaching while also keeping order wasn't easy.

Nights would include eating dinner together before going to bed together. That's it.

Strong arms grabbed the girls waist and a laugh came from her as she was pulled from her thoughts. Literally and figuratively.

"I just got up~," she whined, smacking his chest as the taller brunette buried his head into her neck. His nose and chin made contact with her skin causing her to squirm in his embrace.

"Five more minutes," his gruff voice sounded. His arm tightened around her waist and his other hand came up to rest on her head.

Smiling, the girl laid in silence, his breathing filling the room. She let her mind wander, jumping from one thing to another.

"Tom?" His hum urged her to continue and she swallowed unsurely before continuing. He seemed to sense her nerves and pulled away to look at her face. She would have laughed at his sleep filled expression but she couldn't. "Didn't we close the window?"

The window. They never left it open. Paranoia was a common thing for Thomas and Amelia grew to understand it, sharing some of it as well. 

Wide eyed, Thomas looked over her head to see that she was right. Jumping up, Amelia looked out, scanning the area for anything. Nothing could be seen out of the usual but she didn't know the area that well.

"Shuck." Reprimanded for cursing near children on hundreds of occasions had bleeped out the normal curse words from his dictionary and Glader slang spilled out.

"We need to warn Minho."

Thomas saw his girlfriend stand tense as she looked out, her eyes cold and calculating. Rising from his seated position he stood next to her as he gazed outside. He wasn't able to see anything strange but he knew Amelia was better at this, being an assassin/fighter and all.

Gently slipping his calloused hand in hers, he watched as he gently intertwined their fingers.

"We'll get through this," he promised before kissing her hand. His lips hovered over her hand as his eyes bore into hers, both on edge and preparing for a fight.

WCKD or whoever it was out there were screwed.

Backup was coming and after everything that happened, they definitely weren't going down without a fight.