Chapter 1- Return to Middle-earth

"Where are we?" Noelle asked, blinking from the blinding light of Gandalf's staff.

"We are in a forest several miles outside Hobbiton," Gandalf answered as he blew out the light on his staff. He was eyeing Noelle cautiously as she glanced around the woods.

"Hobbiton?"

"Yes Noelle," Gandalf replied. "You've been here before. Don't you remember?"

"Oh yeah..." Noelle shivered even though it was fairly warm. The sensation of an icy chill still clung to her and she wrapped Ahsoka's grey cloak tighter around herself. She noticed Gandalf watching her. "What?"

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah... I just..." Noelle was still in a state of shock over what had happened. She hadn't had time to comprehend the dark figure that had tried to kill her earlier. What was that thing anyway? Getting herself back together, Noelle's questions came pouring out. "Where were you?! Why did you come back, and why are we herespecifically?" she got out all in one breath.

"I will answer one question at a time," said Gandalf. "I haven't been anywhere other than here- in Middle-earth. I sensed something terrible had happened to you so I came back to find you. But I also brought you here for another reason."

"What's that?"

"I am not certain yet, but Evil has been growing. If I am correct in my guess, then I will need your help."

Noelle just stared at him.

"If you don't want to be here, I am not forcing-"

"No..." Noelle interrupted. In truth, she hadn't really thought out what she was going to do if the Jedi didn't work out, but she would help if need be. After all, what else was she going to do, go home? "I'll stay. I'll help," she said.

Gandalf nodded. "Then you have my thanks." He started to walk away. Noelle assumed she was supposed to follow him. "Gandalf?" she asked, catching up. "What exactly isgoing on?"

Gandalf took a deep breath. "I don't know for certain yet, Noelle. I have my suspicions, nothing more."

"Suspicions about what?"

"Remember the ring Bilbo found in the goblin-tunnels?"

"Yes- wait a minute. How do you know about that?" Noelle didn't think Bilbo would tell him.

"I would think that you should have known by now that I am very observant," Gandalf said with a teasing smile. He continued. "I suspect that Bilbo's ring could actually be..."

"What?"

"The One Ring."

The One Ring. Noelle hadn't read about it, but she had heard about it. Her knowledge of the history of Middle-earth didn't really go up to the more recent times, so the One Ring wasn't exactly something that had been documented yet. Gandalf had briefly explained to her what it was one time when Noelle had been studying the Dark Lord Sauron. He (Sauron) had created the Ring in Mordor and into it, he poured most of his power. He also used the Ring to deceive and corrupt other people who also possessed magic rings.

"So Bilbo has Sauron's evil ring?" Noelle said slowly.

"Maybe. I need to find out more for myself before I am certain."

Up ahead in the clearing was a brown horse attached to a wagon. There was no driver. "Are you meeting someone?" Noelle asked frowning.

"Not that I am aware of," Gandalf climbed into the driver's seat. He raised his bushy eyebrows at her. "Are you coming or not?"