Chapter 7- A Close Call

"It's definitely after us," Noelle had confirmed grimly.

"You're sure?" Merry had asked.

Noelle nodded.

"If that's the case, then you'd better let us come with you, Frodo," said Merry, not looking at Noelle, who had opened her mouth to object.

Merry and Pippin coming along meant more work for her. More people to protect, and more troublemakers to deal with.

"Wait a minute-" she began.

"You'll need me and Merry's help!" Pippin interrupted.

Frodo looked thoughtful. "Noelle might be right," he said after a moment. "It's too dangerous."

"You can't stop us," Merry said pointedly. "Pip and I are coming, whether you like it or not."

Noelle opened up her mouth. "Wait a minute. I think I should have some say in this-"

Sam sighed loudly. From the way he had been glaring at Merry and Pippin, it was clear he didn't want them here either. "I agree with you, Miss Noelle, but we can't stop them."

Noelle didn't have a response, so she just threw up her hands. "Fine. Try not to get in the way." Today was just getting better and better. First a Black Rider, now Merry and Pippin. Noelle hoped it wasn't going to get any worse, because Merry and Pippin reallygot on her nerves.

By dusk, they heard another shriek, similar to when Noelle had distracted the Rider when they were hiding under the tree. Except this time, they were more frequent, which meant it was close. As it grew darker, Noelle kept jumping at every little sound she heard. Every time she heard a noise, her hand went immediately to her sword handle. She was finding it hard to clear her mind and keep calm, because she had a terrible feeling that whatever this thing was, she wasn't really equipped to beat it.

Maybe if I had my lightsaber...

Noelle pushed the thought away. She was trying really hard to forget her blue-bladed lightsaber, but she was already starting to miss it.

I'll just have to make do without it- like I did before.

Suddenly they heard the scream. Merry, Sam, and Pippin crashed into her from behind, followed by Frodo. Noelle had been leading the way. She would have scolded them, but she turned around, her eyes filled with fear.

"Whatever happens, stay close, and do as I say."

Even Merry nodded. "Right."

"Whatever you say," agreed Pippin.

Suddenly, Noelle sensed it. The Darkness was close.

"Get down!" cried Pippin.

Noelle and the four hobbits dropped to their knees behind the shrubbery and the bushes. It was pitch black out now- with the exception of the moonlight. They were almost to the end of the forest. Up at the top of the hill, the moonlight accentuated the figure of the Black, hooded Rider on his horse. Noelle felt her stomach turn. She held her breath.

"I have to leave the Shire," Frodo whispered as the Black Rider cantered away. "Sam, Noelle and I must get to Bree."

"Right," Merry replied. He glanced at Noelle, who was still in a daze. "Bucklebury Ferry."

Noelle felt her head spinning. "Bucklebury Ferry?" she repeated.

"Follow me," Merry commanded.

Noelle didn't exactly know what he was talking about, but since she didn't know the area all that well, she decided not to object and let Merry take charge- for now.