Chapter 9- Strider

"Gandalf taught you well."

What the-

The blade of the hooded figure was almost touching her throat. Although Noelle had blocked it, she wasn't physically strong enough to stop this guy who had jumped her. Her strength was in the Force.

"Strider!" she whispered in realization. "Who are you, what do you want, and how do you know Gandalf trained me?" she got out all in one breath.

Strider stepped back, removing his blade from Noelle's and pulled off his hood, revealing a shaggy, weather-beaten man with shoulder-length brown hair and stubble on his face. He didn't really look friendly, but he didn't seem evil. Maybe he was just a scoundrel?

"I will answer one question at a time," Strider responded, sheathing his sword. "But first, I think we should check on your hobbit companions."

Still gripping her sword, Noelle raised her eyebrows in question, but Strider began walking swiftly away.

"Wait!" she called after him. "Who are you?"

"I am a friend of Gandalf." Strider was still walking away.

Noelle stopped. "Gandalf said he'd meet us here himself. He never said 'some friend of mine will be waiting for you at Bree.' If you-"

Strider turned sharply around. "I know what hunts you, and what your friend Baggins carries. You are out of options Noelle Smith, so I suggest you hear what I have to say before you put yourself in a position to threaten me."

"I-" Noelle didn't know what to say. Strider had her there. All she said was "How do I know you're one of Gandalf's friends?"

"Unfortunately, time is not a luxury we can afford right now. Now, let us go and see what your hobbit-friends are doing, shall we?" Strider pulled his hood back up, and stuck his pipe back into his mouth.

When they got back into the eating and drinking area, Strider resumed his spot by the fireplace. Noelle peered around for the hobbits. She saw Sam and Merry still at the table, but they were staring worriedly at a group of men by the bar.

Where are Frodo and Pippin? she wondered.

Suddenly there were gasps and cries of surprise from the group by the bar. Maybe Pippin was causing some kind of ruckus? Noelle decided to go check and see. She spotted Pippin, but no Frodo.

"Pippin!" Noelle grabbed his shoulders. "Where's Frodo?"

Pippin was holding a mug of beer, but he also looked confused. Noelle assumed he was drunk.

"We don't know! Baggins just disappeared!" some guy with a grey beard and a mug of ale in his hand cried.

Baggins?! Oh no.Noelle's mouth dropped. Her blue eyes widened. "We have to go," she whispered. She knew exactly what had happened.

Frodo had put on the Ring and turned invisible. That meant that the Riders were coming here. Gandalf had already told them that the servants of Sauron were drawn to the power of the Ring, and if Frodo put it on...

She raced hurriedly to the hobbits' room. She had to start packing their things. They needed to leave now.

She was busy throwing all their bags in a pile, when Strider burst into the room, practically dragging Frodo behind him.

"Whoa! Hold up!" Noelle ripped out her sword. "Put him down, Strider!"

"What do you want?" Frodo cried to Strider.

Strider was ignoring the fact that Noelle was pointing her sword at his chest, and moved the put out the candles by the window. "A little more caution from you," he said to Frodo. "That is no trinket you carry."