Chapter 28- The Battle

A low rumble sounded on the horizon, interrupting the moment. Noelle pulled back slowly away from Legolas, whose eyes were fixed in the distance.

"Seems a storm is coming," he murmured quietly, more to himself than to her. "I can feel the change in the wind."

"I've always liked storms," Noelle agreed breathlessly. She had finally stopped trembling from nervousness even though her heart was still racing. "They remind me that I'm alive."

Legolas gazed down at her with a smoldering look in his eyes. "I prefer the calmness and solitude of the forest," he whispered.

Noelle felt a chill run down her spine because of the way he was looking at her, yet she couldn't tear her eyes away from his. She had never sensed such emotions from him before.

Nor had she ever felt such feelings before inside herself.

She looked up into the eyes of this Elf, who was giving her his love freely. He cared so much for her in a way no one ever had, and she had done nothing. Nothing to deserve that from him.

Legolas cupped her chin and began to lean down again, but before his lips could reach hers, she leaned up and pressed her own lips against his, taking him off-guard. She could sense his shock. That he obviously hadn't expected her to return his kiss.

But she knew deep down, that she loved him too.

Pulling away, she averted her eyes shyly. "I should go."

Legolas touched her cheek gently. "Where to, meleth nîn?"

Noelle quickly looked up at him. "Meleth nîn?" she whispered.

"You understand what it means?"

Noelle nodded. "I'm not fluent, Legolas, but I know some."

Legolas smiled. "You never answered my first question: where are you going?"

"The armory."

Legolas's face took on that same pained expression and a dark shadow passed over his face. "I wish you would not."

Noelle squeezed his hand. "I know. But you also know that I have to."

Whatever they felt for each other, Noelle could never in right conscience hide behind a wall of stone while she was the most capable person in Helm's Deep to fight this battle. And if it came down to it, she would have to be the one to go, not Legolas. But she would never say that to him.

Legolas himself emitted a shaky sigh. "And I also know that I cannot stop you."

~~~~~

In the bliss of her moment with Legolas, Noelle had almost forgotten about Saruman. As she struggled to put on her armor alone, she mulled over her options.

Assuming she survived this battle, she felt her only option was to face Saruman head-on. If he was indeed looking for her, it was only a matter of time until he did find her, and she would be putting the people of Rohan- and Legolas- in danger as long as she stayed near them.

Noelle preferred to run towards her problems, not away from them.

But she also knew that she could not beat Saruman alone. She would confront him and he'd probably kill her. Náedran had said Saruman was looking for her, and he likely wanted her dead...

She knew it was unwise to make any hasty decisions immediately, especially when she knew so little about the situation anyway. She decided to wait and ask Gandalf when she saw him again. Speaking of which, where had the wizard gone to when they needed him the most?