Chapter 24- The Golden Hall

The next morning, Noelle, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimili arrived below the city of Edoras- which to Noelle's surprise, was actually a small town on a hill. They stopped the horses briefly while Gandalf spoke.

"Edoras, and the Golden Hall of Meduseld."

"I thought it'd be bigger," Noelle mumbled.

"There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan. His mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong," Gandalf paused and sighed. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here."

They dug their heels into their horses' sides and cantered off.

The further they got up the hill, the windier it got. A gust of wind blew into Noelle's face, messing up her hair. She groaned in annoyance and pulled out of her pocket a leather string that she used to tie back her hair. She had to drop the reins for a second in order to secure a messy braid. It wasn't perfect, but at least it kept the hair out of her face.

A forest green flag with a white horse on it flew by them as they entered the town. There weren't even guards at the wooden gates. Noelle took notice of their surroundings as they trodded through the dusty path up the hill to the Golden Hall. Some of the people of the town stared at them fearfully with wide eyes. Others looked curious, but most appeared tense.

Gimli snorted. "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," he commented.

They dismounted the horses near the steps of the Golden Hall. Unfortunately there was nothing to tether them to. Noelle wagged her finger at Flash as she followed Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli up the stairs.

"Stay," she commanded him.

Hey, where do you think I would go?

Shaking her head, Noelle sighed. You had better be here when I get back. She raced up the stairs to catch up with the others. Surprisingly there was a group of guards ready to meet them at the front door of the Hall. Noelle also noticed Gandalf wearing his grey cloak instead of the white one.

The guy who appeared to be in charge frowned at them suspiciously. "I cannot allow you before Theoden king so heavily armed, Gandalf Greyhame, by order of Grima Wormtongue."

"Who?" Noelle asked. Anyone who took orders from someone called "Grima Wormtongue" clearly had issues.

Gandalf gave her a look that said to be quiet, then motioned for them to give up their weapons.

Reluctantly Noelle handed one of the Rohirrim guards her Elven sword. The others didn't look too happy about it either- particularly Gimli.

"Your staff." The captain guy eyed Gandalf.

Noelle felt Gandalf tense up beside her immediately. If they wouldn't let him in with staff, his main source of power, whatever plan he had wouldn't work. "Oh. You would not part an old man from his walking stick?"

The captain didn't look like he was buying Gandalf's flimsy excuse.

Suddenly Noelle had an idea. It was something she had been training and practicing to do, yet she hadn't done it in awhile. The Jedi mind trick.

She held up her hand to Gandalf. "I've got this." She glanced at the captain, and slowly moved her hand slightly closer and leaned in with the Force. "You would not part an old man from his walking stick," she said, holding her breath in anticipation. She hoped this worked. She wasn't really very experienced in this. Obi-wan was better at it.

The captain looked confused and blinked a few times, which was good. It meant the Force was having an influence on his mind. "I will... not..."

Noelle moved her hand closer.