Chapter 37- One With the Force

Later that night, Noelle sat for a long time by herself, immersed in thought. She was so distracted that she didn't even sense Legolas quietly watching her from a ways off.

Legolas was so baffled. Noelle had been... so different since the Paths of the Dead. They had slowly been drifting further and further apart, and he was done pretending not to notice. She was the one who had been distancing herself from him. He needed to get to the bottom of it. Whatever his Ada had said to her, it didn't matter. He loved her.

The Elf swallowed, and plucked up the last ounce of courage that he had. "Noelle?"

Her head jerked up in surprise. She had obviously not seen or heard him. Her expression turned from one of surprise into sadness. "Hi Legolas," she all but whispered.

Legolas slowly made his way to the stone bench she was sitting on. They were back in the exact same gardens where Thranduil had had his "talk" with her the night before. The feast for Aragorn's coronation and marriage to Arwen had just ended several hours ago and Legolas had been trying to find a time to steal Noelle away. She was still wearing the silk gown from earlier.

Legolas cleared his throat. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," Noelle whispered back.

There was a moment of awkward silence, until Legolas spoke, gesturing to sit next to her. "May I?"

Noelle nodded. This was it. She had to tell him.

"Leg-" she started.

"Noe-"

They both stopped.

"Go ahead," said Legolas.

Noelle took a deep breath. "I... We... I really need to tell you something, Legolas." She fingered the beading on her sleeves, feeling herself beginning to hyperventilate. She took short, deep breaths, trying to calm herself.

Legolas searched her face, waiting for her answer.

Noelle finally forced herself to meet his eyes.

"I-I'm leaving, Legolas."

Legolas's face practically paled, and he froze, staring at her in shock as if she had just stated that she wanted to harm herself.

Noelle took a deep breath, still trying to calm her shaky breath. She had to tell him the real reason. The one she had so much trouble with.

"My friend... Anakin Skywalker.... He's turned to the Dark Side," she blurted out and looked Legolas straight in the eye. "And I-I have to go back and try to save him-" She bit her lip and covered her face in her hands. He was never going to understand...

Legolas was silent for a painfully long time, and Noelle could sense his emotions. They overwhelmed her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

Legolas finally took a deep breath. "Noelle, are you certain this is true?"

Noelle looked up. "Yes, yes I am. I wouldn't leave you if I thought..." Then her voice faltered as she realized what she was saying. This wasn't going to work anyways whether she stayed or not. Elf. Human. They weren't supposed to be together.

Legolas watched her expectantly.

Noelle shook her head quietly. "Legolas, this isn't going to work... Me and you."

"Wh-What do you mean?" the Elf got out in a whisper, even though she had the feeling he knew exactly what she was talking about.

Noelle felt her own frustration rise. She felt so vulnerable. She was literally throwing her whole world away. Again. But this time she had no choice. "You know what I mean," she said in a low voice. "Legolas, you're an Elf, I am a human. We can't just keep pretending this is going to work-"