Chapter 32- Looking in the Wrong Places

"What did you see?" the wizard asked her. He and Noelle were on the other side of the Golden Hall, out of earshot. It didn't matter. Mostly everyone was back to sleep anyway. Gimli had slept through the whole thing, and she knew Legolas would give them space, especially since she had already talked with him.

Noelle was sitting on the end of a bed. She rubbed her freezing hands together. "I didn't exactly see anything in the palantir- not like Pippin did."

Gandalf had recounted the hobbit's words to her. He raised his eyebrows.

Noelle sighed, knowing she had to give an explanation. "Touching the palantir triggered something. A vision, but I don't believe it was Sauron speaking directly to me. I can tell the difference."

"Well?"

Noelle took a deep breath. "I felt a strong surge of energy within myself- it's so hard to explain, Gandalf. It doesn't make any sense to me either. Then I heard a voice that I believe was Sauron, telling someone to 'eliminate a girl who was a threat to him.'" She paused for a breath, and to let Gandalf digest the information. The wizard watched her intently, as was his habit when he was having an important conversation. Finally after a long moment he said, "did you see anything more?"

Of course he had a feeling she was leaving part of it out. Noelle knew better than to try and get out of it. And she knew she should tell him all of it. Everything that was bothering her.

"I saw a person surrounded in blue light. She told me 'to never turn back, and I was meant for more than the Jedi.'"

"And why would she tell you that if you are no longer part of the Jedi?" Gandalf asked thoughtfully.

"I-I don't know."

It was true. Noelle had no idea herself as to why this person, whomever it was, would tell her this.

"Noelle," said Gandalf. He sat down beside her. "You must tell me what is wrong. What you are suspecting. What is going on in your mind. It will do you no good to keep asking questions to yourself, without results. Tell me everything."

She knew he was right. She couldn't go on like this any longer. She had told Legolas as much as he would understand, but Gandalf, he did understand. He knew what the Jedi were about. He knew Saruman/Dooku. He understood the Force- far better than she did.

"If Sauron wins here, does it affect my world?" she began slowly. I have all these fears in the back of my mind, Gandalf. I saw Earth destroyed in Galadriel's mirror, and since it is one of eight worlds connected with this one, I am afraid it might come true. I feel so much responsibility knowing that I'm different from everyone else." She continued. "Am I the person Sauron wants eliminated? Or is it the person I saw? Who was the person I saw?"

Gandalf was silent for a long, long moment, until he finally spoke. "It may affect your world, Noelle, but what you saw in the mirror may not be what you think it is. The future is never set in stone. It is always in motion."

Noelle sighed and put her head in her hands. "I wish I knew what to do. Galadriel told me to trust God- but I don't know where He is anymore. I've tried to find Him through the Force, but the Force is not helping me either."

Gandalf placed his hand on her shoulder. "Unfortunately my dear, it is you who have been misreading the signs then. Eru is never wrong, nor is the Force."

Noelle looked at him in surprise and he gave her a slight smile of encouragement.

Gandalf stood up. "I will be riding with Pippin to Minas Tirith in the morning. I think you should come."