Chapter 36- The Return of the King

One month went by since the Battle at the Black Gate and the Destruction of the One Ring. Frodo and Sam were safely returned to Minas Tirith, and the Fellowship was back together again. Noelle could never express in words the joy she felt seeing Frodo realize Gandalf was alive.

Middle-earth had a lot of cleaning up to do after the war, particularly Gondor. They had cities to rebuild, as a people, and as a world, but that also meant they needed someone to lead them.

Aragorn had accepted his role as King, a decision which all the members of the Fellowship couldn't be more proud of him for. He was to be crowned on the fourth of May.

Noelle, on the other hand, was still firm on her own decision. She was going back. Three days after Aragorn's coronation, a party was leaving from Minas Tirith to escort the hobbits home to the Shire. Certain members of the Fellowship were only going so far, but Noelle planned to see them home with Gandalf. Then she would go back alone.

Legolas was planning to reside in Ithilien, a woody region east of Minas Tirith, bordering Mordor. He told Noelle that in the future, he planned to bring some of his kin from Mirkwood to reside there and restore the natural beauty to that land. He had also gently stroked her cheek and said he hoped she would like it there.

Noelle hadn't answered him. Legolas had only given her a very sad and concerned look, then left her alone.

Had he guessed what was going on? She had promised to tell him eventually...

The day of Aragorn's coronation arrived swiftly, and unbeknownst to him, the Elves of Rivendell and Mirkwood arrived the night before. It was to remain a surprise to Aragorn because Arwen was with them, and also Legolas's father, King Thranduil.

Noelle honestly couldn't have been more petrified of meeting him- well for the second time, considering she had basically been courting his son. Legolas had pulled her aside especially to meet him.

"Noelle, I would like you to meet my Ada," he had said softly.

The girl who had been trained by the great Masters Yoda and Obi-wan Kenobi, who had faced Count Dooku and Darth Maul, who had commanded armies, but couldn't even calm the quaking of her knees, did the best curtsey she could manage in front of the King. He raised his thick eyebrows and scrutinized her with his ice blue eyes.

"It's an honor, your majesty," she said as steadily as she could.

The King of the Woodland Realm nodded slightly. "My lady I would appreciate a word in private if you will," he said, glancing at his son.

A look of surprise registered on Legolas's face. He looked like he was about to open his mouth to protest, but he didn't. He just gave Noelle a helpless look and stepped aside. She squeezed his arm gently and gave him a sympathetic look, downcasting her eyes. She followed Thranduil outside to the gardens of Minas Tirith. It was one of the only spots in the whole city that had a garden. Thranduil's back was to her as he gazed solemnly over the five levels of the city below them.

"I understand you are in love with my son? He has already told me much about you. No doubt, even if his feelings are unrequited, he is deeply in love with you.'

Wow, he hadn't even paused for a breath.

Noelle was speechless. He had already said most of what needed to be said.

"Yes," she confirmed, noticing how expectantly Thranduil was staring at her.

Thranduil practically circled her. "And you do understand how complicated it is for an Elf and a Mortal to be joined together in marriage?"

Noelle took a deep breath. This was the question she had been waiting for. What she had been expecting him to bring up from the beginning. "I have no intentions to marry your son," she blurted out.