Chapter 30- A Deal and Questions

By late afternoon the company had returned to Edoras. Náedran was banished from Rohan, which in Noelle's opinion was more than merciful of the King. That traitor deserved to be locked up in prison the rest of his miserable life.

But enough misery and death had taken its toll on Rohan already.

Lady Éowyn and the survivors of Helm's Deep had already made it back to Edoras earlier. As Noelle led Flash back to the stables, she gave the White Lady a wave.

"The men have told me you are a skilled fighter, Lady Smith," she said, stopping briefly on her way to greet her uncle and brother.

Noelle smiled. "Ah. Thank you," she said sheepishly. "I learned from the best." Her gaze wandered over to Gandalf, who was dismounting Shadowfax.

Éowyn watched her. "Tonight there is to be a feast in honor of the dead," she said. "I have extra gowns if you need one."

Noelle was about to decline, when she realized that this was more of an obligatory invitation than a kind offer. She nodded. "Thank you, my lady. I would appreciate that."

"I will ask one of my handmaidens to help you. She's a close friend of mine and I trust her."

Noelle smiled in thanks, as she began undoing Flash's saddle.

"Gonna get all dressed up tonight so Legolas notices?"

Noelle's mouth hung open. "And how do you know about that? Gandalf established the mental connection between us, which means you can only hear me when I want you to!"

"Oh come on!" Flash laughed (as much as a horse can laugh). "It's quite obvious, Noelle."

Noelle rolled her eyes. "Whatever Flash."

~~~~~

Later that night, Noelle tried to put off getting dressed up for as long as she could, but much to her own embarrassment, Flash's words kept ringing in her mind, and she wondered how Legolas would think she looked.

Blushing, she tried to think about something else as she paced nervously in the spare room next to Éowyn's. The long vanity almost seemed to be staring at her from the corner of the room.

She sighed and sat down on the soft bed, it felt too comfortable after sleeping on the hard ground for five years. Her mind drifted back to the Elf. Why did he love her of all people?

Her looks certainly didn't even come close to that of the Elves- Arwen for example. She wasn't ugly or anything, but she wasn't exactly Luthíen Tinuviel either. She was a young human woman, a former Jedi, a broken warrior and a defeated commander who was now trying to help stop a Dark Lord from taking over Middle-earth.

And she was in love with the Prince of Mirkwood.

She had never felt this way about anyone- ever. Legolas... He was different. The way he looked at her.

Suddenly there was a soft tap on the door interrupting her thoughts. Noelle jumped.

"My lady?"

"Come in," Noelle answered, hoping she didn't sound startled.

A girl with wavy blonde hair and blue eyes who looked a couple years younger than her peered into the room. "Lady Éowyn sent me with your dress."

"Oh," Noelle breathed. "Thank you. I almost forgot." That wasn't one hundred percent true. After all, she had been thinking about Legolas moments before.

"Would you like me to lay it on the bed?" asked the girl, raising her eyebrows.

Noelle nodded. "Sure, thanks."